A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 4. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF BOUNTISBOROUGH
containing the parishes of Godsfield (extra-parochial); Itchen Abbas; Itchen Stoke (with Abbotstone); Swarraton (fn. 1)
In the Domesday Survey Bountisborough is found under the name of 'Mantesberge Hundred.' (fn. 2) At this time it included Itchen Abbas, Itchen Stoke, Abbotstone, Ovington, Wield and 'Stradfelle.' (fn. 3) Swarraton is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Survey, but 3 hides 3 virgates held by Hugh de Port of the Abbot of Hyde in the hundred of Micheldever (fn. 4) were at Swarraton (fn. 5) and continued to be included in the hundred of Micheldever (fn. 6) until comparatively modern times. There is no mention of Godstield in the Domesday Survey. The 'Stradfelle' mentioned is probably Stratfield Mortimer, in Berkshire, but is now difficult to identify. (fn. 7) Before 1316 Ovington and Wield had been included in Fawley Hundred. (fn. 8)
At the time of Edward the Confessor the whole hundred of Bountisborough was assessed at 35½ hides, and at the time of the Domesday Survey at 19½ hides. (fn. 9) In 1316 Bountisborough included the parishes of Abbotstone, Itchen Abbas, and Itchen Stoke and part of Swarraton, (fn. 10) and has not greatly changed since except that the extra-parochial district of Godsfield has been included in the hundred. From the 14th century the whole of Bountisborough Hundred was Crown property. (fn. 11) During the Commonwealth the Parliamentary Commissioners took a survey of the hundred as part of the possessions of 'Charles Stuart, late king of England.'
This survey mentions that a court was held twice yearly at the usual place, but the name of this place is not stated. (fn. 12)