A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 4. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF RINGWOOD
containing the parishes of
Harbridge; Ringwood. (fn. 1)
Pennington, in 1831 a tithing of Milford, now a separate parish, is also in this hundred, but is treated with Milford in that of Christchurch. Certain parts of Ringwood are not in the hundred. Burley with Bisterne Closes and Burley and Woodgreen, extra-parochial in 1831, belong to the New Forest. North Ashley is part of the liberty of Westover, where its tithingmen seem to have attended the view of frankpledge but not the hundred. (fn. 2)
In the Domesday Survey Ringwood and Harbridge are the only places entered under Ringwood Hundred, the two together being assessed at 3 hides and 1 virgate as against 33 hides in the days of the Confessor. (fn. 3) Bisterne and Crow, tithings of Ringwood, were in 'Rodedic' Hundred. In the time of King Edward they were assessed at 5 hides, in 1086 at 4 hides. (fn. 4) Neither Burley, Ashley nor Somerley occurs.
In the Nomina Villarum of 1316 Ringwood and Christchurch Hundreds are given together, North Ashley, Ringwood, Pennington, Harbridge and Bisterne being entered. (fn. 5) In the Aids of 1346 and 1428 the hundreds are separated, (fn. 6) but Ringwood is only represented by Pennington. (fn. 7) In that of 1431 Ringwood is omitted and Pennington given under Christchurch Hundred. (fn. 8)
The hundred was always held with Ringwood Manor.