A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 4. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Appelsawe, Appelleshaghe (xiii cent.); Appulshawe (xv cent.); Appulsha (xvi cent.).
Appleshaw has the Wiltshire border for its northern boundary, and is a small parish comprising only 713 acres, of which 467 acres are arable land, 209 acres permanent grass and 11½ acres woods and plantations. (fn. 1) The soil is gravel, the subsoil chalk, (fn. 2) and both have been worked. The principal crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The level of the land above the ordnance datum varies from over 400 ft. to under 300 ft.
The village is situated near the Fyfield border, with the church and the manor-house hard by, the vicarage lying a little to the south. The road from Andover to Devizes passes through the south of the parish.
The hamlet of Lower Appleshaw is on the Weyhill boundary, and partly in that parish.
In 1812 680 acres, mostly in Weyhill, but partly in Appleshaw, were inclosed. (fn. 3)
APPLESHAW is not mentioned by name in Domesday Book, (fn. 4) but part of it was probably included in the holding of Hugh de Port in Cholderton, (fn. 5) which may be identified with the knight's fee in Cholderton and Appleshaw held by the Brayboefs under the heirs of the Ports. (fn. 6) The history of the subinfeudation of the fee by the Brayboefs has been traced in detail under Cholderton (q.v.). It was held in 1284 by service of 40s. scutage, and suit of court twice yearly at William de Brayboef's court of Cranborne, in the parish of Wonston (co. Hants). (fn. 7) In the inquisition on the lands of Roger Norman, who died in 1349, it is called a member of the manor of Cholderton, which Roger held in demesne. (fn. 8) Here, as elsewhere, the heirs of Roger Norman were succeeded by the Sandys family in the first half of the 15 th century, (fn. 9) and Sir Walter Sandys, his son Thomas, and Sybil wife of Thomas died within a few years of one another, each seised of four messuages, 5s. rent and land in Appleshaw. (fn. 10) In 1486 John Wallop died seised of lands and tenements held of Sir William Sandys, (fn. 11) and ten years later Sir William himself died, holding, according to the inquisition, of John Sifrewast. (fn. 12) Sir John Wallop died seised of the manor of Appleshaw in 1551, holding of the king as of his hundred of Basingstoke. (fn. 13) He left a brother and heir Oliver, whose son, Sir Henry Wallop, died seised in 1599. (fn. 14) Sir Henry Wallop the younger, son of the last named, had a grant of free warren in 1617, (fn. 15) and dealt with the manor in 1627. (fn. 16) He was succeeded by his son, Robert Wallop, a staunch Parliament man, who was attainted at the Restoration, his possessions being given to Thomas Earl of Southampton, Anthony Lord Ashley, Sir Orlando Bridgeman and Sir Henry Vernon. (fn. 17) In 1667 these grantees sold the manor of Appleshaw to Sir William Courtney of Crabbet (co. Suss.) and Katherine his wife. (fn. 18) Their successor was John Smith, who, having in 1688 been granted two fairs in Appleshaw, (fn. 19) sold the manor in 1699 to George Rumbold, (fn. 20) who dealt with it by a recovery in 1727. (fn. 21) From the Rumbolds the manor shortly descended to the Butchers, with whom it continued until 1809, (fn. 22) when Catherine Butcher, then owner, married James Edwards. Mr. Edwards died in 1841 and left the manor to his nephew John Edwards, whose sons, Mr. Frederick Charles Edwards and Mr. James Cecil Edwards, now hold it. Appleshaw and Redenham (see Fyfield), which have descended together since the time of the Wallops, are now regarded as one manor.
The fairs above mentioned were still held in 1792 on 23 May, 4 November and the Friday and Saturday before the great Weyhill fair (q.v.). In 1888 there were fairs on 6 and 7 October and 4 November. (fn. 23)
Besides the fee in Cholderton and Appleshaw there was also one in Drayton and Appleshaw, held likewise by the Brayboefs of the St. Johns. The mesne lordship, however, was different. In 1284 it was held by Herbert de Canne, (fn. 24) and the part that lay in Appleshaw is represented later by a rent of 10s., which went with the manor of Drayton Cannes (fn. 25) (see Barton Stacey).
Some part of Appleshaw also belonged to the estate which Thomas de Cholderton and his kin held in Cholderton and Ann Savage. (fn. 26) In the Nomina Villarum of 1316 Appleshaw is described as a hamlet and bracketed with Cholderton, which was at that date divided between John de Ann, Philip de Ann, Philip de Wasprai and John de Romsey. (fn. 27)
Although there is no mention of such a holding in any charter, it appears that Mottisfont Priory had some small possessions in Appleshaw, for in 1536 the 'manor' of Appleshaw was granted with the rest of the priory possessions to Sir William Sandys, K.G., chamberlain to the king, and Margery his wife. (fn. 28) This estate, which was certainly not a real manor, was dealt with in 1550 by a fine levied between William Paulet Earl of Wiltshire and Thomas Sandys, which appears to entail the property on the latter and his heirs. (fn. 29) It is probably Lord Sandys' farm of Appleshaw, mentioned in 1591. (fn. 30)
APPLESHAW CHURCH, which has no known dedication, is cruciform on plan and consists of a continuous chancel and nave with a west porch, and north and south transepts, the total length being 64 ft. 9 in. and the width across the transepts 55 ft. 3 in. Over the west end of the nave is a small wooden bell-turret containing one modern bell. The building was erected in 1836 and is extremely plain, with rough-cast walls, slate roofs, and wooden frames to all the windows.
The plate consists of a silver chalice and paten cover of 1742 inscribed, 'Ex dono Edwardi Gale de Novo Hospitio in comitatu Middlesexii, gent, guardiani ecclesiae de Appleshaw 1743'; and a silver paten probably of 1679 inscribed, 'The gift of Edward Gale of Appleshaw, gent, to the church there for the use of the Sacrament Bread there for ever 1772.' There is also a plated tankard-shaped flagon.
The registers are contained in three books. The first has baptisms and burials from 1739 to 1812, with baptisms from 1718 to 1739 copied from the Amport register, and marriages from 1726 to 1753. The second book has marriages only, 1756 to 1812, and the third baptisms from 1783 to 1812 and burials 1744 to 1759 and 1783 to 1816.
Appleshaw was formerly a chapelry attached to Amport, but was in 1866 declared a vicarage in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. (fn. 31) Since 1901, however, the advowson has been in the hands of the Lord Chancellor.
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here, which was erected in 1869.
The school was built in 1870, with accommodation for sixty-five children.
In 1761 Mrs. Frances Offley by will left £50 to be applied towards instructing the poorest children of the parish in reading. The legacy is now represented by £52 8s. 4d. consols.
In 1835 Mrs. Catherine Edwards by will bequeathed a legacy, now represented by £104 14s. 2d. consols, the income to be applied for teaching the poorest children to read, knit and work.
The income of these charities, amounting to £3 18s. 4d, is carried to the school accounts.
In 1904 Mrs. Emma Harrison by will proved 23 March bequeathed £200 to the vicar and churchwardens. The legacy was invested in .£229 19s. consols, the dividends of which, amounting to £5 13s. 4d., are applied in accordance with the trusts in the distribution of coal.
The several sums of stock are held by the official trustees.