A History of the County of Hertford: Volume 4. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
24. HOSPITAL OF ST. ERASMUS AND ST. MARY MAGDALENE, CHESHUNT
There was at one time in Cheshunt a hospital of St. Erasmus and St. Mary Magdalene, apparently very small and insignificant. (fn. 1) The proctor, Thomas Glasedale, when asked by the vicar-general of the Bishop of London in October 1527 (fn. 2) whether the king was their founder, answered that they had neither foundation, incorporation nor bills of privileges. The hospital of St. Mary Magdalene mentioned in connexion with Cheshunt in the Prior of Hertford's accounts of 1497-8 (fn. 3) was no doubt this house.