A History of the County of Kent: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
56. THE HOSPITAL OF PUCKESHALL OR TONGE
We first hear of the hospital of St. James, ' Pokeleshal,' in the parish of Tonge, in 1252, in connexion with a tenement in Sheldwich. (fn. 1) The advowson passed on the death of Giles de Badelesmere in 1339 to his sister Elizabeth, countess of Northampton, (fn. 2) and later belonged to the Mortimers, earls of March. (fn. 3)
In 1546 the possessions of the fraternity or hospital in Tonge called St. James alias Pickeshall were valued at £7 13s. 4d. yearly, with deductions of £1 9s. 4d., the net income thus being £6 4s. The certificate (fn. 4) also mentions a chalice of silver and gilt, a vestment and all things belonging to it, and two bells, valued at 30s.
The site of the hospital and lands belonging to it in Tonge and Bapchild were granted on 26 May, 1557, to Sir John Parrott in fee. (fn. 5)
Masters or Wardens of Tonge
Robert, occurs 1252 (fn. 1)
Walter Shiryngton, appointed 1407 (fn. 3)