Hospitals: Hospitals in Romney

A History of the County of Kent: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1926.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


'Hospitals: Hospitals in Romney', A History of the County of Kent: Volume 2, (London, 1926), pp. 225. British History Online [accessed 25 June 2024].

. "Hospitals: Hospitals in Romney", in A History of the County of Kent: Volume 2, (London, 1926) 225. British History Online, accessed June 25, 2024,

. "Hospitals: Hospitals in Romney", A History of the County of Kent: Volume 2, (London, 1926). 225. British History Online. Web. 25 June 2024,

In this section


Nothing is known of the foundation of this house, which was under the authority of the jurats of the town. In 1401 the house lent £10 to the corporation, (fn. 1) which was repaid in 1408. John Wygynton was chosen master of the house for life on 12 February, 1406, with a corrody from it of 8d. weekly; and he agreed that if he should die in office the house should have 40s. of his goods. (fn. 2) On 19 January, 1434, Stephen Pocok, master, leased to Richard Glover of Lydd 8½ acres belonging to the brethren and sisters of the house in the parish of Lydd. (fn. 3) In 1413 John Ive paid £11 6s. 8d. for a corrody of 26s. from the house to the behoof of his daughter Joan. (fn. 4) In 1458 Simon Maket was admitted to the rule and governance of the hospital by the name of prior, taking for his wages and soap for washing the vestments of the hospital 20s. yearly; and on the same day John Porter was admitted steward for the management of its lands, taking for his labour 15s. yearly. (fn. 5)

In 1495 and afterwards the corporation received money for the rent of the house of St. John the Baptist; (fn. 6) and it seems likely that it had then ceased to exist as a hospital.

Masters or Priors of St. John The Baptist's, Romney

John Wygynton, resigns 1399 (fn. 7)
John Halegood, occurs 1402 (fn. 8)
John Wygynton, appointed 1406 (fn. 8)
Thomas Rokysle, occurs 1408 (fn. 9)
Stephen Pocok, occurs 1434 (fn. 9)
Simon Maket, appointed 1458 (fn. 10)
Robert Bernyngham, occurs 1480 (fn. 11)


Adam Cherryng founded a hospital in honour of the martyrs St. Stephen and St. Thomas, in Romney, for the maintenance of lepers and of a chaplain celebrating divine service there, endowed it, and obtained charters of confirmation from Baldwin, archbishop of Canterbury (1184-90), and various archbishops and popes. In 1322 it was said that there should be at the hospital fifteen, or at least thirteen, brothers and sisters, each receiving from Michaelmas to Christmas half a bushel of wheat weekly, and from Christmas to Michaelmas 4d. weekly instead, with a hundred of faggot-wood at Michaelmas or 8d. (fn. 12) But in the middle of the fourteenth century no lepers were found to live there, and the hospital became almost derelict; and in 1363 John Fraunceys, the patron, ordained that in place of the lepers there should be there two priests, one of whom should be master or warden. The master was to be resident, and should be appointed by the patron, or in default by the jurates of the town; and he was to appoint the other chaplain and pay him 40s. yearly, or in default to distribute 23s. 4d. each quartet of a year among the poor of the town. This new foundation was sealed by the barons of Romney, and confirmed by the archbishop, the chapter of Christchurch, Canterbury, and the king. (fn. 13)

Sir Reginald de Cobeham and Agnes his sister, as patrons of the hospital, in the first part of the fourteenth century leased to John de Holdesdon, chaplain, a chamber in the close of the hospital and lands in Romney, Old Romney, and Dymchurch. (fn. 14)

Indulgences to benefactors to the chapel were granted by various bishops in 1375, 1379, 1391, and 1451. (fn. 15)

The patronage of the hospital passed from John Fraunceys to his daughters, and from these through feoffees to William Waynflete, bishop of Winchester. In 1481 it had come to ruin and its buildings had collapsed, and on 22 November it was annexed to Magdalen College, Oxford, founded by the bishop. (fn. 16)

Masters or Wardens of The Hospital of St. Stephen and St. Thomas, Romney

Stephen, at the foundation, circa 1180-5 (fn. 17)
Richard Scherewynd, occurs 1378 (fn. 17)
Elias de Postlyng, appointed 1364 (fn. 18)
Nicholas Chamberleyn, appointed 1385, (fn. 19) resigned 1386 (fn. 17)
Adam de Cokermouth, appointed 1386 (fn. 19)
John Harard (fn. 17)
John Frebody, occurs 1400 (fn. 20)
John Hale, appointed 1409 (fn. 21)
Robert Haddelsay, resigned 1419 (fn. 22)
Thomas Morton, appointed 1419, (fn. 23) resigned 1421 (fn. 24)
Thomas Stodyer, appointed 1421, (fn. 24) died 1435 (fn. 25)
Andrew Aylewyn, appointed 1435 (fn. 25)
Richard Berne, appointed 1458 (fn. 19)


  • 1. Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. v, App. 536.
  • 2. Ibid. 536.
  • 3. Ibid. 537.
  • 4. Ibid. 539.
  • 5. Ibid. 544.
  • 6. Ibid. 549.
  • 7. Ibid. 535.
  • 8. Ibid. 536.
  • 9. Ibid. 537.
  • 10. Ibid. 544.
  • 11. Ibid. 545.
  • 12. W. D. Macray, Muniments of Magdalen College, Oxford, 131.
  • 13. a Lit. Cant. (Rolls Ser.), ii, 436-42; Pat. 38 Edw. III, pt. 1, m. 36; Dugdale, Mon. vii, 641.
  • 14. Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. iv, App. 427.
  • 15. Ibid. 464.
  • 16. Ibid. 459; Lit. Cant. (Rolls Ser.), iii, 307.
  • 17. a W. D. Macray, op. cit. 7.
  • 18. Cant. Arehiepis. Reg. Islip, fol. 363.
  • 19. a Dugdale, Mon. vii, 640.
  • 20. b Pardon R. 1-14 Hen. IV, m. 17.
  • 21. Cant. Arehiepis. Reg. Arundel, ii, fol. 53b.
  • 22. Ibid. Chicheley, i, fol. 116.
  • 23. Ibid. 116b.
  • 24. Ibid. 128b.
  • 25. Ibid. 210.