A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Eggewrthe, 1212; Egewurth, 1221; Egeword and Eggeword, 1292; Eggeworth, 1292, and usually; Eggeswrth, 1277, 1292.
Edgeworth village lies in the extreme southern corner of its township between Bradshaw Brook, here expanded artificially to form a reservoir, and Quarlton Brook. The ground from this point rises continuously from 690 ft. or less till over 1,250 ft. is reached on the border of Musbury, the watershed being the boundary between the parishes of Bolton and Bury. In the northern part of the township is Broadhead, and here the surface again rises from Bradshaw Brook until a height of 1,100 ft. is attained at the boundary. The area is 2,924½ acres. The population of Edgeworth, Entwisle, and Quarlton was 2,518 in 1901.
The principal road is that from Bury to Blackburn, passing north-west through the western part of the township.
The land is chiefly in pasture. There is a cotton mill, and a stone quarry is worked.
The Children's Home, established in 1872, is situated high up on the hill-side, more than a mile to the north of Edgeworth village.
In 1898 the township or civil parish of Edgeworth was extended to include Entwisle and Quarlton also, and at the same time, for local government purposes, Edgeworth was added to the Turton Urban District. (fn. 1)
There were thirty-eight hearths liable to be taxed in 1666, but no house had as many as six hearths. (fn. 2)
The manor of EDGEWORTH was in 1212 held of the king in thegnage by William de Radcliffe of Radcliffe; it then included Entwisle and Quarlton, and was assessed as one plough-land, the annual service being a rent of 10s. (fn. 3) Within a century it had been granted to the Traffords of Trafford, (fn. 4) and was held by them as the twelfth part of a knight's fee. In 1589 it was sold to Nicholas Mosley, (fn. 5) who in 1598 sold it to Richard Orrell and Alexander Bradshaw; (fn. 6) shortly afterwards Edgeworth as a manor disappears from the records. (fn. 7)
Among the landowners named from time to time in pleadings, &c, are the Edgeworths, (fn. 8) Bartons of Smithills, (fn. 9) Asshawes, (fn. 10) Entwisles, (fn. 11) and others. (fn. 12) The land was divided into a number of small tenements. (fn. 13)
At Whowell's Farm, near the northern boundary, dwelt the executioner of Lord Derby in 1651. (fn. 14)
The moor was inclosed in 1797. (fn. 15)
Church of England services are held in the schoolroom. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel, built in 1863. The Congregationalists' first chapel was erected in 1822, and replaced by the present one in 1867. (fn. 16)