A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
PART OF THORNTON
Irebi, Dom. Bk. and commonly; Yrby, Hyrby, 1292.
This narrow edging of the Yorkshire parish of Thornton has been included in Lancashire, probably+ through some ancient connexion with Tatham, of which it was frequently regarded as a detached township. It lies on the fell side, the descent being from 2,000 ft. above sea level to about 250 ft. The village lies at the foot of the steep, at the edge of the hilly country which occupies the western part of the area. Stainderber and Anems lie near the boundary, south from Ireby. The whole has an acreage of 1,141½, (fn. 1) and there was in 1901 a population of 70.
The principal road is that from Settle to Kirkby Lonsdale, from which minor roads branch off, north-west to Leck and south to Burton-in-Lonsdale. The Ingleton branch of the London and NorthWestern railway also crosses the township near the road.
The ninth of sheaves, wool, &c., was in 1341 valued at 20s. a year. (fn. 2) For the county lay Ireby was included with Tatham.
The soil and subsoil are limestone. Of the agricultural land 146 acres are arable and 732 permanent pasture.
Earl Tostig held IREBY as three plough-lands in 1066, it being a member of Whittington. (fn. 3) Later it was held in thegnage in conjunction with Tatham, (fn. 4) until in 1317 it was sold to John de Hornby by John de Tatham. (fn. 5) The new lord obtained a charter of free warren in 1320. (fn. 6) In 1338 the manor was settled on Edmund son of John de Hornby and Margaret his wife. There is little to relate of its history. It falls out of sight till the 16th century, when the lordship was held by Redmayne (fn. 7) and Claughton. (fn. 8) It was purchased by Christopher Stockdale in 1598, (fn. 9) and descended in part to another Christopher in 1617. (fn. 10) Since that time no manor appears to have been claimed.
'The family of Cook, (fn. 13) the possessor in former times of Ireby Hall, sometimes called Fothergill Hall, (fn. 14) sometimes Nether Hall, is extinct; the property is now vested in the Martons of Capernwray.' (fn. 15)