A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Manslarig, c. 1 520.
This small district, containing only 569 acres, occupies some hills, over 300 ft. above sea level, between Newland Beck on the east and Osmotherley Beck on the west. The hamlet of Mansriggs lies near the former brook, near the centre of the township. The population in 1901 was 64. The principal road leads north from Ulverston to Broughton, with branches north-west into Osmotherley and northeast by Mansriggs to Penny Bridge The soil is loamy, and oats, wheat and turnips are grown.
There was no manor of Mansriggs, which was merely a hamlet or dependency of the Nevill manor in Ulverston. (fn. 1) The house called Mansriggs Hall was formerly owned by the Benson family, and carried by an heiress to the Blundells of West Derby. (fn. 2)
In 1734, John Abraham being lord of the manor of Ulverston, there was a complaint of trespass against his deputy James Fell. The 'great waste' called Arrad Common or Mansriggs Common was parcel of the manor, and the tenants had the right to cut and take bracken for fuel, according to by-laws made at the lord's court, held twice a year. The plaintiff, Thomas Kirkby, had transgressed these by-laws, and distraint had been made for the penalty. (fn. 3)