A History of the County of Leicestershire: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1954.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
28. THE HOSPITAL OF STOCKERSTON
In 1466 licence was granted to Sir John Boyville to found by the church at Stockerston a perpetual almshouse, for one chaplain and three poor persons, and to grant it funds in mortmain to the value of £10 yearly. (fn. 1) Boyville died before the hospital could be founded, and in 1468 his executors obtained a licence to found an almshouse for three poor persons, with a chantry chaplain. The almshouse was to be dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and the chaplain was licensed to obtain for himself and the three poor lands with a yearly value of up to £12. (fn. 2) In 1535 the hospital was still in existence, and it was then noted that the three poor persons were paid £3. 11s. yearly, while the gross yearly income of the hospital was £12. 3s. (fn. 3) The subsequent fate of the hospital is unknown, but it may have been the institution at Stockerston dissolved by Thomas Waldron shortly after 1535. (fn. 4)
Chaplain Of Stockerston Hospital
William Warton, occurs 1536. (fn. 5)
No seal is known.