A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
116. THE PRIORY OF WILLOUGHTON
The manor and the moiety of the church of Willoughton were granted by the Empress Maud to the Benedictine Abbey of St. Nicholas, Angers, (fn. 1) and the priory was probably built some time during the twelfth century. It is mentioned as an alien priory, of which the temporalities were in the king's hands in 1390, (fn. 2) and again in 1403, when it was being farmed by a clerk. (fn. 3) Its revenue in 1387 was given as £18 6s. 2d., including the moiety of the church of Willoughton; there had been waste and damage at that time to the value of £35 13s. 4d. (fn. 4)