Friaries: Friars de Areno

A History of the County of London: Volume 1, London Within the Bars, Westminster and Southwark. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1909.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

'Friaries: Friars de Areno', in A History of the County of London: Volume 1, London Within the Bars, Westminster and Southwark, ed. William Page( London, 1909), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/london/vol1/p516a [accessed 13 July 2024].

'Friaries: Friars de Areno', in A History of the County of London: Volume 1, London Within the Bars, Westminster and Southwark. Edited by William Page( London, 1909), British History Online, accessed July 13, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/london/vol1/p516a.

"Friaries: Friars de Areno". A History of the County of London: Volume 1, London Within the Bars, Westminster and Southwark. Ed. William Page(London, 1909), , British History Online. Web. 13 July 2024. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/london/vol1/p516a.

18. THE FRIARS DE ARENO

A priory for friars of the order of St. Mary de Areno was founded in Westminster in 1267 by William Arnand, a knight of Henry III. It lasted just fifty years, the community coming to an end with the death of the last brother, Hugh of York, in 1317. (fn. 1)

Footnotes

  • 1. Cal. of Close, 1313–18, p. 503.