A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4, Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood With Southall, Hillingdon With Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow With Pinner. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR. (fn. 1)
In 1806 there were said to be no charities for the poor of Ickenham. (fn. 2) Charlotte Gell, by deed dated 1857, founded the Ickenham almshouses for five couples on land given by herself in Back Lane. By her will, proved 1864, she increased the endowment from £3,000 to £4,000 and stipulated that inmates must be members of the Church of England. Preference was to be given to persons who had lived in her own or her husband's family for five years, and then to inhabitants of the parish of Ickenham. In 1897 part of the site was sold. The proceeds were invested in £52 stock and added to the capital endowment, which in 1956 yielded £624. In 1959-60 the almshouses, a gabled range with flint walls and red brick dressings, were repaired and modernized to accommodate 8 almspeople and a warden. (fn. 3) Mrs. Gell also left £1,565 stock, the income of which was to be applied to gifts of coal to the poor at Christmas. In 1953 the income amounted to £485, and 10 cwt. of coal were distributed to 24 persons.
In 1892 the Ickenham parish council tried to show that Ickenham Marsh was a charity. The claim was based on a tradition, fifty or more years old, that two women had given the land for each householder in the parish to graze one horse and two cows. The claim was abandoned when no documentary evidence could be adduced in its support. (fn. 4)