A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4, Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood With Southall, Hillingdon With Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow With Pinner. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR. (fn. 1)
Thomas Arundell (d. 1697) left 7 a. to the use of the poor. This gift yielded £5 yearly in 1697 and £9 10s. in 1810. The land forming Arundell's charity was sold to the lord of the manor in 1887, and in 1890 the gift was represented by £535 stock. (fn. 1) An unknown donor, by an instrument probably made before 1770, (fn. 1) conveyed a further 2 a. to the use of the poor. The land was sold to the Great Western Railway Co. in 1900, and in 1948 the gift was represented by £319 stock. Martha Jackson, by will proved 1836, left £44 stock to provide bread which was to be distributed among the poor every New Year's Day. Suggestions during the 1920s that the Northolt charities should be consolidated were not carried out, and the charities continued to be administered severally by the parish authorities. In 1958 the three charities together yielded £131. (fn. 1)