Perivale: Education

A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4, Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood With Southall, Hillingdon With Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow With Pinner. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1971.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Diane K Bolton. H P F King. Gillian Wyld. D C Yaxley, 'Perivale: Education', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4, Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood With Southall, Hillingdon With Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow With Pinner, (London, 1971), pp. 127. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol4/p127a [accessed 22 June 2024].

Diane K Bolton. H P F King. Gillian Wyld. D C Yaxley. "Perivale: Education", in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4, Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood With Southall, Hillingdon With Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow With Pinner, (London, 1971) 127. British History Online, accessed June 22, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol4/p127a.

Bolton, Diane K. King, H P F. Wyld, Gillian. Yaxley, D C. "Perivale: Education", A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4, Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood With Southall, Hillingdon With Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow With Pinner, (London, 1971). 127. British History Online. Web. 22 June 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol4/p127a.

EDUCATION.

The school founded at Greenford in 1780 by Edward Betham was intended to have at least thirty pupils, (fn. 1) of whom three were to come from Perivale. (fn. 2) In the first fifty years of its existence, when thirty-seven Perivale children are known to have attended, there was often a vacancy for the parish. (fn. 3) William Pearson, Rector of Perivale 1810- 12, is said to have bequeathed £200 towards the education of ten poor girls, (fn. 4) but in 1871 all the children went to Greenford. (fn. 5) Founded in 1934 as an all-age department, the Perivale Junior and Senior Mixed and Infants' School in Sarsfield Road was reorganized in 1937 as a junior mixed and infants' department. In 1963 it accommodated 437 pupils. A senior girls' school, later known as Perivale Secondary Modern Girls' School, was opened in 1937, and in 1963 had approximately 270 pupils. (fn. 6)

Footnotes

  • 1. V.C.H. Mdx. iii. 219.
  • 2. J. E. Wilson, 'Perivale' (TS. in Ealing Cent. Ref. Libr.), 29.
  • 3. Ibid. 30.
  • 4. Gent. Mag. 1847, 2nd ser. xxviii. 661.
  • 5. Wilson, op. cit. 35.
  • 6. Ex inf. Ealing Bor. Educ. Officer.