A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4, Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood With Southall, Hillingdon With Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow With Pinner. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1610 John Lodge of Edgware, butcher, was proclaimed a recusant. (fn. 1) There are no further references to Roman Catholicism in Edgware until 1913, when the church of St. Anthony of Padua was built in Garrett Road. (fn. 2) It is a red-brick building with stone dressings, designed in a Perpendicular style. Services were first held on the Broadfields estate in 1960 at the 'Sparrow Hawk', and in 1963 a temporary hut was in use while the church of St. Mathias was being built. (fn. 3)