A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4, Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood With Southall, Hillingdon With Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow With Pinner. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The wife of a Hayes parishioner in 1581 and a Hayes man in 1617 were presented for recusancy. (fn. 1) By 1640 no recusants were known in the parish, but one woman, Isabel Millett, never attended Communion, supposedly upon some 'Popish ground', although she regularly attended other church services. (fn. 2) There were two known Papists in 1706, when it was predicted that they would soon fall upon parish relief; another man, who owned an estate at Dorney (Bucks.), had recently apostatized. (fn. 3)
The parish of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Botwell, was founded in 1912, (fn. 4) and a church was first registered in 1915. (fn. 5) It was rebuilt in 1954 and in 1960 was served by the Claretian Missionaries. (fn. 6) The church was replaced in 1961 by a much larger brick building fronting on Botwell Lane. It adjoins the early-19th-century Botwell House, whose grounds also contain a school. Further north along Botwell Lane, Bell House is occupied by the Poor Servants of the Mother of God, (fn. 7) whose chapel on the ground floor was registered in 1952. (fn. 8)
The parish of St. Raphael, Ayles Road, Yeading, was created in 1957, and the yellow brick church was consecrated in 1961. It consists of a nave, east and west aisles, and a small south gallery, lighted by hexagonal clerestory windows. A small north-western bell tower is connected to the aisle, and the raised porch is supported on six columns. The parish includes parts of Hayes, South Harrow, and Hillingdon. Services were formerly held in a school hall and in the priest's residence at Northolt. (fn. 9)