A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5, Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Small meetings were held at a private house in Tottenham Hale until brewers' premises at no. 366 High Road, near the corner of Somerset Road, were occupied by Tottenham Hebrew congregation in 1904. (fn. 1) Members of the synagogue came to be affiliated to the Federation of Synagogues. (fn. 2) The building could seat 300 in 1972, when there was a separate hall for religious instruction. (fn. 3)
Jews in south Tottenham worshipped in private homes and occasionally at Craven Park Road school from 1934 until the opening of a brick building behind no. 111 Crowland Road in 1938. Classrooms were added in 1954 and a communal hall was built in 1961. There was seating for 440 at South Tottenham District synagogue, a member of the United Synagogue, (fn. 4) in 1972. (fn. 5)
Edmonton and Tottenham Hebrew congregation arose from meetings which were held at no. 53 Lansdowne Road several years before the ground floor of a Victorian house, no. 41 Lansdowne Road, was converted for worship in 1934. The synagogue, whose members came to be affiliated to the United Synagogue four years later, was enlarged in 1956, to bring the seating to about 200, and an adjoining hall and annexe were built in 1964. (fn. 6)