A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7, Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1982.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A separatist church at New Brentford was claimed to be maintaining its own poor in 1654, (fn. 1) and Quakers were recorded at Brentford in 1659. (fn. 2) After the Restoration, particularly after the Five Mile Act of 1666, there was a colony of ejected ministers at Brentford. One of them ministered to a congregation formerly of Thomas Gilbert, former vicar of Ealing, which sometimes numbered 40 in 1663. Teachers included Philip Taverner and Ralph Button (d. 1680), who were consequently imprisoned, and Thomas Pakeman (d. 1691). Others were imprisoned with Button for worshipping together in private. (fn. 3) John Jackson (d. 1693), who came to Brentford after 1666, (fn. 4) may have conducted services before he was licensed in 1672 and continued to hold them until c. 1689, latterly with John Doddridge. (fn. 5)
There was thus a tradition of nonconformity and at least one established meeting at Brentford before the Toleration Act, 1689. Several meetings started immediately afterwards both at Brentford and Ealing and more were to follow, (fn. 6) most of them short lived but at Brentford probably including permanent congregations of Congregationalists, of Baptists from 1692, of Quakers from 1706, and of Methodists from 1760. Ealing Green Congregational church was founded c. 1800 and at Brentford there were two Baptist churches from 1818 and two Congregationalist ones from 1829. Congregations at Brentford included members far afield, before daughter churches were established in surrounding parishes in the early 19th century. In 1851 there were eight meetings at Brentford and Ealing, with 1,129 worshippers in the morning, 345 in the afternoon, and 969 in the evening on census Sunday. Three meetings were of Congregationalists, two of Baptists, two of Methodists, and one of Mormons. The Congregationalists, with 1,102 attendances, outnumbered both the Baptists with 812 and the Methodists with 480, although at Brentford the Baptists were the leading denomination. Ealing Green Congregational church, the only meeting recorded at Ealing, was the best attended.
At Brentford the late 19th century saw the foundation of another Baptist church, the closure of a Congregationalist chapel, and the arrival of Salvationists, Brethren, and the London City Mission. The Baptists advanced, having 872 attendances on one Sunday in 1903, and the Congregationalists declined, with only 315 attendances; Methodist attendances had reached 715 but the other denominations were small. Overall attendances rose slightly from 1,906 in 1851 to 2,305 in 1903. They had changed little by 1978, when there remained three Baptist churches, a United Reformed church, one Methodist church, and two meetings of the London City Mission.
At Ealing, in contrast, the number of meetings had increased to nine by 1903, when attendances had grown eleven-fold to 5,676, more than half the total recorded at Anglican churches. The principal denominations were the Baptists with 2,130 attendances, the Methodists with 1,370, the Congregationalists with 817, the Presbyterians with 690, and the Brethren with 444, but there were also Quakers, Salvationists, and others. As building spread, more meetings of Presbyterians, Congregationalists, Methodists, Brethren, and smaller denominations were established, mainly before the Second World War, and daughter churches were founded in adjoining parishes. In spite of some decline, particularly among the Congregationalists, there were 25 places of nonconformist worship in 1978, including three Methodist, two Baptist, four Presbyterian, and four of Brethren.
Society Of Friends. (fn. 7)
Quakers, at Brentford 1659, (fn. 8) had mtg. there 1706 (fn. 9) and reg. ho. and barn near Goat inn, Ferry Lane, Old Brentford, 1707. (fn. 10) William Penn (d. 1718) lived at Brentford 1706-10. (fn. 11) Numbers at New Brentford increasing c. 1770. (fn. 12) Moved to Brentford End, Isleworth, 1785 but still called Brentford mtg. (fn. 13)
Ealing Quakers' attendance at Y.M.C.A. 1903: 14 a.m. Thereafter met regularly at Y.M.C.A., Uxbridge Rd., 1905-7, at Y.M.C.A., Bond Street, 1908-28, at no. 49 Uxbridge Rd., 1929- 51, at no. 20 Florence Rd., 1952-3, at Y.M.C.A., Uxbridge Rd., 1953-4, and from 1954 at modern hall seating 100 at no. 17 Woodville Gdns. Acton mtg. joined them 1940. (fn. 14)
Anabaptists met at Brentford 1692. (fn. 15) Another mtg. reg. at ho. of Nathaniel Swinden in Ealing parish 1710 (fn. 16) may have been licensed mtg. mentioned 1770, (fn. 17) mtg. ho. rented by Francis Swinden 1790-2, (fn. 18) and one at Old Brentford 1797 and 1816. (fn. 19) May also have been chapel later claimed to have been at Troy Town, Old Brentford, (fn. 20) and preaching ho. of Thomas Wood recorded at Spring Gdns., Old Brentford, 1786- 1805. (fn. 21) No direct connexion with later Bapt. chapels.
Park chapel, at corner of Boston Manor and Great West rds., New Brentford. Mtg. founded 1799 by min. at Hammersmith in ho. in Market Place, (fn. 22) later in min.'s ho. as Particular Bapts., and moved 1808 to chapel NW. of Market Place 1808, (fn. 23) which was enlarged to seat 190 after foundation of Sunday sch. 1817. Supported by Hammersmith mtg. 1824-9. Attendance 1851: 77 a.m. (inc. Sunday sch. 21); 35 children afternoon; 100 evening. (fn. 24) Services in town hall from c. 1851 until 1855, when surviving chapel seating 500 opened. (fn. 25) Attendance 1903: 190 a.m.; 426 p.m. Classrooms added 1869 replaced 1936 by hall, where services held 1940 until 1950 reopening of bomb-damaged church, seating 400 in 1978. (fn. 26) Seceders founded W. Ealing Bapt. church 1864 and Ealing Rd. Bapt. church c. 1893, the second reuniting with Park chapel between 1903 and 1923. Albany (Independent) and Park chapels amalgamated 1879.
North Rd. Bapt. church, Old Brentford, said to descend from earlier chapel at Troy Town. (fn. 27) Thomas Dewell, who reg. mtg. of Independents in bldg. opposite Moon and Seven Stars inn, (fn. 28) Old Brentford, was trustee of mtg. of Bapts., later Particular Bapts., established in outhouse on E. side of North Rd. 1819. (fn. 29) No min. from 1820 until 1825, when John Andrews Jones (d. 1868), pamphleteer, was appointed. (fn. 30) In 1837 Zoar chapel was founded at Hounslow. (fn. 31) Surviving bldg. on W. side of North Rd. opened 1840 (fn. 32) and enlarged 1854, when min. seceded to Brethren. Attendance 1851: 200 a.m. (inc. 90 Sunday sch.); 90 children afternoon; 220 evening. (fn. 33) Attendance 1903: 201 a.m.; 157 p.m. Church bombed 1940 and restored 1954, with sittings reduced to 200.
West Ealing, formerly Ealing Dean, Bapt. church founded 1864 by Particular Bapts. from Park chapel, Brentford. Mtgs. first at small drill hall of 30th Mdx. Volunteers, Uxbridge Rd., (fn. 34) and from 1865 at surviving church seating 450, in Chapel Rd., W. Ealing. Attendance 1903: 334 a.m.; 358 p.m. Bldg. enlarged 1927 and repaired, after war damage, 1953; adjoining Sunday schs. of 1897 enlarged 1913. Seated 300 in 1978. (fn. 35)
Haven Green Bapt. church, Castlebar Rd., founded 1880 by Lond. Bapt. Assoc. Seated 872 but overcrowded 1893. (fn. 36) Attendance 1903: 576 a.m.; 862 p.m. Sunday sch. and hall added 1910, church renovated 1928, and room at rear demol. 1974. (fn. 37) Seated 930 in 1978. Daughter churches founded at Greenford by 1931 and N. Hanwell 1938. (fn. 38)
Pastor and other seceders from Park chapel 1893 met by 1896 in iron tabernacle at Ealing Rd., Old Brentford. Attendance 1903: 55 a.m.; 63 p.m. Later in 1903, after min.'s departure, members reunited with Park chapel and tabernacle sold. Existing bldg. beside tabernacle used by Meths. 1914 (fn. 39) but reg. as Park chapel mission church 1919 (fn. 40) and independent as Ealing Rd. Bapt. church 1923. Tabernacle demol. 1945. (fn. 41)
South Ealing Bapt. church existed at Junction Rd. by 1921 and had closed by 1961. (fn. 42)
John Jackson held services at Brentford in 1672, when licensed to hold them at his ho., and until c. 1689. (fn. 43) Apparently succeeded by John Walker, who kept mtg. ho. at Old Brentford 1690 (fn. 44) and became min. of Brentford Cong. church 1694, when Protestant dissenters reg. leasehold mtg. ho. in Ferry Lane. Church served wide area (fn. 45) and attracted many legacies, notably those of John Sanders c. 1731, John Brice c. 1778, one Ormerod, and Revd. Timothy Hargreaves (d. 1793); (fn. 46) income from endowments was £51 in 1840 and £1,791 was invested in stock 1868. (fn. 47) Existing bldg. opened at E. end of the Butts 1783 as the 'new temple', but called Boston Rd. chapel by 1845. (fn. 48) Members, Cong. or Independent by 1851, united with Albany chapel 1840 and again 1875. Attendance 1851, when seating for 400: 240 a.m. (inc. 110 Sunday sch.); 130 children afternoon; 180 evening. (fn. 49) Attendance 1903: 135 a.m.; 180 p.m. After bomb damage 1944 church was restored with reduced accommodation, seating 160 in 1978. Joined Presbs. as Brentford United Reformed church 1972. (fn. 50)
Independents reg. Old Mtg. Ho. at the Borough, Old Brentford, 1798, first floor of ho. opposite Moon and Seven Stars, Old Brentford, 1818, and bldg. near Ealing Rd., Old Brentford, 1819. (fn. 51)
Albany chapel, S. of Albany Rd., Old Brentford, opened 1829 by Independents, (fn. 52) who, with no settled pastor, moved to Boston Rd. chapel 1840. Albany chapel again used for worship from 1842 (fn. 53) and was interdenominational 1851, when pastor of Boston Rd. chapel reported attendance of 40 a.m. (fn. 54) Threatened with closure 1862 (fn. 55) but again reg. 1864 by Independents, (fn. 56) who united with Boston Rd. chapel 1875 and closed Albany chapel 1879. (fn. 57) Bldg. used for interdenominational worship 1882. (fn. 58)
Ealing Green Cong. church said to originate in mtgs. in cottage at Ealing c. 1800, which may have been chapel near Red Lion 1816. (fn. 59) Chapel opened in the Grove 1822, with permanent min. from 1834, (fn. 60) rebuilt to seat 430 in 1848. Attendance 1851: 265 a.m. (inc. 109 Sunday sch.); 267 p.m. (fn. 61) Grove chapel, later St. Saviour's sch., replaced by bldg. E. of Ealing green 1860. Hall added and church enlarged, to seat 760, by 1895. Attendance 1903: 386 a.m.; 235 p.m. Bldg. known as 'big church' from 1926, when rooms were added and 'little church' was opened for children. (fn. 62) Used since 1972 by both United Reformed and Meth. churches, (fn. 63) Meths. being more numerous 1978. (fn. 64)
West Ealing Cong., from 1972 United Reformed, church was formed in 1900, with services at no. 70 the Avenue from 1901 and at hall in Argyll Rd. from 1903. (fn. 65) Attendances 1903: 108 a.m.; 88 p.m. After First World War hall adapted as permanent church and another hall and classrooms added. Church, seating 200, closed between 1951 and 1976. (fn. 66)
St. Andrew's Presb., from 1972 United Reformed, church was formed by Scottish members of Ealing Green Cong. church, who met from 1875 in iron bldg. seating 300 opposite Christ the Saviour church in Broadway. New church at corner of Mount Park and Aston rds. 1887, with seating increased from 550 to 800 in 1890s. (fn. 67) Attendance 1903: 390 a.m.; 300 p.m. Seated 480 in 1978. (fn. 68) Daughter churches established at Wembley 1898 and Elthorne Pk., Hanwell, 1906.
St. Aidan's Presb., from 1972 United Reformed, church, Northfields, replaced Elthorne Pk. Presb. church, Hanwell, 1922. Bldg., at corner of Leybourne Ave. and St. Aidan's Rd., seats 200. (fn. 69)
Members of Presb. Church of Wales met at Y.W.C.A., Uxbridge Rd., 1903-4 and at Swift's assembly rooms from 1904 until 1909, when Welsh Presb. church, Ealing green, was opened. Church flourished during 1930s but shared min. with Hammersmith (closed 1972) from 1961 and Walham Green, Fulham, from 1969. (fn. 70)
An International Presb. church reg. at no. 52 Cleveland Rd., Ealing, 1975. (fn. 71)
John Wesley frequently visited Brentford, (fn. 72) where a Meth. group existed 1745 and 1748 but had almost disappeared by 1750. New cong. met in large bldg., perhaps near St. George's church, 1760 and had almost died out 1786, but revived with well attended mtgs. by 1790. (fn. 73) Former Presb. chapel at Ferry Lane, Old Brentford, used from 1783, (fn. 74) and new Wes. mtg. ho. N. of High St. near modern St. Paul's Road, from 1811. (fn. 75) Attendance 1851: 230 a.m. (inc. 145 Sunday sch.); 120 p.m. Church, seating 536 in 1851, (fn. 76) rebuilt c. 1865 and replaced by ornate Gothic bldg. at corner of Windmill and Clifden rds. 1890, (fn. 77) with spire added 1903. (fn. 78) Attendance 1903: 273 a.m.; 324 p.m. Church restored 1951 after bomb damage (fn. 79) and replaced 1964, after union with Jubilee chapel (q.v.), by Clifden Rd. Meth. church (fn. 80) on part of site in Clifden Rd.
Primitive Meths. reg. private ho. at Ealing 1825 (fn. 81) and schoolroom at New Brentford 1843. (fn. 82) Met 1847-95 in committee room seating 70 at Ferry Lane, Old Brentford. Average attendance 1851: 25 a.m.; 25 afternoon; 70 evening. (fn. 83)
Land conveyed 1869 for Primitive Meth. chapel in a new road, (fn. 84) apparently Distillery Rd., Old Brentford. Jubilee chapel, New Rd., Old Brentford, was founded 1897 by Primitive Meths. who used two other halls in New Road 1884-95 and 1890-99 respectively. (fn. 85) Attendance 1903: 89 a.m.; 106 p.m. Replaced by new Meth. church in Clifden Rd. 1964. (fn. 86)
Ealing Broadway Wes. Meth. church originated in services at no. 1 Milford Villas, the Mall, 1864. (fn. 87) Sch. chapel seating 300 built in Windsor Rd. 1865 (fn. 88) and adjoining church seating 1,000 added on corner with the Mall 1869. (fn. 89) Attendance 1903: 364 a.m.; 381 p.m. Sch. chapel replaced by hall 1925. (fn. 90) Bldg. compulsorily sold 1970 (fn. 91) but survived 1978; members moved 1972 to Ealing Green United Reformed. (fn. 92)
West Ealing Primitive Meth. church, Uxbridge Rd., built 1900 with seating for 450 on site of temporary chapel used since 1861. (fn. 93) Attendance 1903: 237 a.m.; 378 p.m. Closed 1959, when cong. moved to Kingsdown Meth. church, and sold 1963. (fn. 94)
Kingsdown Wes. Meth. church, at corner of Northfield and Kingsdown aves., originally in sch. chapel seating 400 and opened 1908. (fn. 95) Permanent church built beside it 1929 at expense of T. W. Moullin and called Moullin Memorial Meth. church. Renamed Kingsdown 1959 after amalgamation with W. Ealing Meth. church. Sch. chapel replaced by hall 1964. Church, altered 1963, seated 220 in 1978. (fn. 96)
Pitshanger Wes. Meth. church, at corner of Pitshanger Lane and Lindfield Rd., N. Ealing, built 1913 for members who had worshipped since 1910 at private ho. in Pitshanger Lane. Intended as temporary bldg. but extended 1929 and reconstructed 1955, (fn. 97) before replacement 1977-8 by new church on same site. Adjoining hall of 1950 used for services during rebldg. (fn. 98)
Meth. church in Ealing Rd., Old Brentford, built 1914 but called Ealing Rd. Bapt. church by 1923. (fn. 99)
C. H. Coles, pastor of North Rd. Bapt. church, seceded with others 1854 to found mtg. of Brethren, (fn. 100) perhaps group which met 1903 at no. 93 High St. Attendance 1903: 19 a.m.; 26 p.m.
Brethren met at Gospel hall (later Grove hall), on N. side of the Grove, Ealing c. 1875. (fn. 101) Attendance 1903: 83 a.m.; 75 p.m. Mtg. survived 1978 and established daughter church at Greenford 1929. (fn. 102)
Brethren met at Sunnyside Room, Disraeli Rd., Ealing 1903. Attendance 1903: 148 a.m.; 138 p.m. Room had been converted to a dwelling by 1977.
Florence hall, one-storeyed structure in garden of no. 8 Florence Terrace, the Mall, reg. 1933 but disused 1964. (fn. 105)
Exclusive Brethren from Dean hall mtg. worshipped at room in Green Man Passage, W. Ealing, 1933-78. (fn. 106)
Barracks at Ealing in Baker's Lane by 1889. (fn. 107) Attendance 1903: 55 a.m.; 166 p.m. Moved 1909 to surviving citadel at corner of Leeland Rd. and Leeland Terrace, W. Ealing. (fn. 108) Another barracks reg. at no. 5 Green View, High St., Ealing, between 1891 and 1895. (fn. 109)
At New Brentford Salvationists sought premises 1887 (fn. 110) and opened gospel hall in Market Place 1894. (fn. 111) Attendance 1903: 16 a.m.; 50 p.m. Moved 1903 to hall over post office in Market Place, (fn. 112) 1909 to hall at no. 34 High St. acquired in previous year, (fn. 113) and 1915 back to hall over post office. Closed by 1925. (fn. 114)
Ealing National Spiritualist church originated in mtg. 1906 at Horn Lane, Acton. Moved 1908 to New Broadway, Ealing, and 1923 to former Salvation Army barracks in Baker's Lane, replaced by church at nos. 8 and 9 Baker's Lane 1936-7. (fn. 117)
Three rooms at no. 12 Somerset Rd., W. Ealing, reg. by 1964 as Lileth Spiritualist church and healing sanctuary, (fn. 118) which survived 1978.
Other Denominations And Unspecified Missions.
The Blue Ribbon Gospel Army reg. hall in Baker's Lane, Ealing, 1885. Reg. cancelled 1925. (fn. 119)
Elim Foursquare Gospel Alliance worshipped at Cranmer hall social bldg. 1930-4. Moved to tabernacle, formerly Elite picture palace, in Northfield Ave., W. Ealing, which seated over 300 in 1978. (fn. 120)
Crusaders opened surviving Crusader hall in Woodgrange Rd., Ealing, 1935. (fn. 121)
Seventh Day Adventists reg. Shaftesbury hall, at no. 5A New Broadway, Ealing, 1936. Reg. cancelled 1954. (fn. 122)
Jehovah's Witnesses in 1939 opened Kingdom hall at no. 40B Uxbridge Rd., Ealing, which was disused 1947. (fn. 123) Opened Kingdom hall, formerly St. Mary's girls' sch., W. of Ealing green 1950. (fn. 124)
Christian Scientists reg. first floor of nos. 11 and 12 the Green, High St., Ealing, 1939. Reg. cancelled 1961, on move to Hanwell. (fn. 125)
The Sutcliffe School of Radiant Living, established since 1934 at Westm., reg. Harmony hall, upstairs room at no. 64 St. Mary's Rd., Ealing, 1940. Reg. cancelled 1964. (fn. 126)
Children of God reg. classroom at Ealing college, the Mall, 1947. Reg. cancelled 1954. (fn. 127)
Undesignated Christians reg. existing Mount Ave. room, behind no. 38 Mount Ave., N. Ealing, 1951. (fn. 128)
Ealing Pleasant Sunday Afternoon Society had hall and institute at Green Man Passage, W. Ealing, reg. for worship 1970. (fn. 129)
Christadelphians used hall at corner of Ranelagh and Blandford rds., Ealing, 1977.
Assyrian church opened former Good Shepherd hall, Ealing Rd., as Assyrian hall 1978. (fn. 130)