A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 12, Wootton Hundred (South) Including Woodstock. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1990.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Apart from three recusants in 1577, (fn. 59) no nonconformists were recorded in the parish until 1823 when the rector reported a few 'Independents'. (fn. 60) Primitive Methodist attempts to establish a congregation in the parish in the 1840s were ultimately unsuccessful. (fn. 61) A Baptist family was reported in 1869, and in 1873 or 1874 a Baptist preaching station was opened. It was served alternately with one at Thrupp until the opening of the chapel at Thrupp in 1876. (fn. 62)