Bawdrip: Nonconformity

A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

A P Baggs, M C Siraut, 'Bawdrip: Nonconformity', in A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes), ed. R W Dunning, C R Elrington( London, 1992), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/som/vol6/p191 [accessed 12 July 2024].

A P Baggs, M C Siraut, 'Bawdrip: Nonconformity', in A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Edited by R W Dunning, C R Elrington( London, 1992), British History Online, accessed July 12, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/som/vol6/p191.

A P Baggs, M C Siraut. "Bawdrip: Nonconformity". A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Ed. R W Dunning, C R Elrington(London, 1992), , British History Online. Web. 12 July 2024. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/som/vol6/p191.

NONCONFORMITY.

In 1752 a house was licensed for Methodist worship and John Wesley preached in the parish in 1760. (fn. 1) A meeting house at Bradney was licensed in 1803, (fn. 2) probably for Methodists who held two services there each week in 1838. Bradney chapel was built in 1842 (fn. 3) but by 1898 had only five members. Services had ceased by 1924 when it was sold. (fn. 4) It was a private house in 1988.

Meeting-house licences were granted in 1822 and 1825, the latter for Congregationalists who built Sion chapel at Knowle in 1830. (fn. 5) They had resident ministers during the 19th century and there was in addition an evangelist in the parish in 1871. (fn. 6) In 1872 the chapel had been recently restored. (fn. 7) It was in use as a United Reformed church in 1988.

Footnotes

  • 1. S.R.O., Q/RR meeting ho. lics.; Wesley, Jnl. (1901), iii. 21.
  • 2. S.R.O., D/D/Rm, box 2.
  • 3. Ibid. D/N/bmc 3/2/1, 4/3/45, 7/2.
  • 4. Ibid. 2/1/4, 2/3/11, 3/2/2.
  • 5. Ibid. D/D/Rm, box 2; Educ. Enq. Abstract, p. 794; Rep. Som. Cong. Union (1896).
  • 6. P.R.O., HO 107/953; ibid. RG 10/2390; P.O. Dir. Som. (1866, 1875).
  • 7. Morris & Co. Dir. Som. (1872).