A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Durleigh, a single tithing in Andersfield hundred until the 16th century, had been united by 1640 with Duke Fee or Dukesse tithing, (fn. 1) which lay partly in the parish and was recorded in 1569; (fn. 2) it probably represented the jurisdiction of the former Duchy of Lancaster estate. (fn. 3) The name Duke Fee was in use in 1674. (fn. 4) In 1670 part of the parish was in Haygrove tithing in Bridgwater. (fn. 5)
In 1732 the parish vestry agreed to appoint two churchwardens and two overseers of the poor. (fn. 8) The part of the parish located within Bridgwater borough appointed two separate overseers in the 1830s. (fn. 9) The parish was divided for rating purposes between the main part, referred to as Durleigh, and the parts around Chilton Trinity village, known as Chilton Limit. In the mid 18th century the parish received rent from a parish garden. (fn. 10) A cottage on part of the site was used as a poorhouse until 1837 when it was sold. (fn. 11) The parish became part of Bridgwater poor-law union in 1836, of Bridgwater rural district in 1894, and of Sedgemoor district in 1974. (fn. 12)