A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1819 there was a day school at Lyng with 34 children and a Sunday school attended by between 16 and 20 children. (fn. 1) Both schools appear to have closed by 1825. (fn. 2) In 1831 a National day school and a Sunday school were started, held in a room opposite the church; (fn. 3) in 1835 both had 18 children on the books, (fn. 4) and in 1846 there were 14. (fn. 5) The school continued in the 1860s, (fn. 6) but evidently did not survive. In 1874 a school board was formed and a new school was built at West Lyng in the following year, comprising two schoolrooms and a teacher's house. By 1903 there were 50 children on the books. (fn. 7) Numbers fell to 38 in 1925, to 29 in 1945, and to 17 in 1965, when the school closed. (fn. 8) The children were transferred to Burrowbridge or to North Curry. (fn. 9) In 1985 the former school was a private house.
There were unlicensed schoolmasters at Burrow in 1609 and 1613. (fn. 10) By 1846 there were two day schools there: a Sunday school and day school with 49 children and a Sunday school with 31 children. They were known together as St. Michael's Church schools and they were taught by 12 teachers, all but two unpaid. Financial support came from subscriptions and school pence. (fn. 11) The site of the school, to be maintained in union with the National Society, was assigned to the vicar and churchwardens in 1848. (fn. 12) The school continued until after 1851 (fn. 13) but then seems to have lapsed, resuming for a few months in 1858, and again continuously from 1864. (fn. 14) The buildings were extended in 1893, and in 1903 there were 86 children on the books, with an average attendance of 68. (fn. 15) From 1958 the school accepted voluntary controlled status. (fn. 16) In 1983 the estimated number on the register was 34. (fn. 17)