A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The two manors of Aisholt and Holcombe Colford answered separately at Cannington hundred court in 1473-4 but in 1521 the tithingman answered for both together. (fn. 1) In the 18th century Aisholt tithing lay in three separate parishes. (fn. 2) Courts were held at Postridge in 1362 (fn. 3) and court rolls survive for East Postridge manor for 1423-4, 1426-7, and probably for 1461, (fn. 4) but Postridge was administered with Spaxton by the 1680s. (fn. 5) Aisholt manor was administered with Aley by the end of the 16th century and court rolls for Aley and Aisholt survive for 1579, 1588, 1592, and 1599-1604. (fn. 6)
The tithingman, two wardens, and two overseers were appointed in rotation by the later 16th century. (fn. 7) The overseers provided relief in cash and kind in the early 18th century and supervised the apprenticeship of pauper children, (fn. 8) but there was no record of a poorhouse before the 1830s, (fn. 9) and there was no vestry in 1840. (fn. 10) The poorhouse, unoccupied in 1842, (fn. 11) was later divided into cottages, but by 1986 was a single dwelling known as Shepherds Cottage.
The parish formed part of the Bridgwater poor-law union in 1836 and the Bridgwater rural district in 1894. (fn. 12)