A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The rector was licensed to keep a school in the parish in 1662. (fn. 1) There was no school in 1819 but in 1825 a day school had 10 children and a Sunday school 17. Other children went to the school at Nether Stowey at the rector's expense. (fn. 2) There was no day school in 1835 but 29 children attended Sunday school. (fn. 3) In 1846 a small cottage school, possibly in the Old School House, taught 29 children and a further 4 boys attended only the Sunday school. (fn. 4) In 1859 there was a small day school for girls. (fn. 5) From 1874 children from Aisholt attended the Aisholt and Merridge district school at Lower Merridge in Spaxton. (fn. 6)