A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Most of Charlinch lay in Currypool tithing but Gothelney was included in Orchard tithing in Cannington parish from the 17th to the 19th century. (fn. 1) In the 16th century courts for Gothelney and Padnoller were held jointly with other Hody estates and court records survive for 1540-1 and 1546. (fn. 2) Courts were held for Currypool manor in the 17th century (fn. 3) and at Gothelney in the 18th century (fn. 4) but no court records have been found.
The parish had two churchwardens, two overseers, and two waywardens by the 18th century. (fn. 5) A poorhouse was recorded in 1769 but was not mentioned after 1771. (fn. 6) The vestry employed someone to keep order on Sundays at 1s. a day in 1833. (fn. 7)
The parish became part of the Bridgwater poor-law union in 1836, Bridgwater rural district in 1894, and Sedgemoor district in 1974. (fn. 8)