A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Enmore parish was divided between the tithings of Enmore and Lexworthy by the 14th century. (fn. 1) Blaxhold tithing in Broomfield parish was declared a sub-tithing of Enmore in 1648, but by 1767 all three were united in a single tithing of Enmore, Blaxhold, and Lexworthy for the land tax. (fn. 2) Baldwin Malet had assize of bread and ale in Enmore manor in 1275 (fn. 3) and suit of court was required of tenants until the early 18th century. (fn. 4) Court records survive for 1735-9, mainly presentments and appointments of tithingmen for Enmore, Lexworthy, and Blaxhold. A hayward was appointed in 1736. A pound was recorded in 1696 and stocks in 1739. (fn. 5) The pound lay near the turnpike road where Pound Cottage had been built by 1833. (fn. 6) Records of Lexworthy manor court survive for 1564 and 1611. (fn. 7)
In the 17th and 18th centuries tithingmen and churchwardens were appointed in an established rotation, and tithingmen in the 18th century were presented and sworn at Enmore manor court. (fn. 8) In 1782 the vestry administered the income from parish land for the benefit of the poor and other objects. In 1794 it was agreed to pay to house the poor and in 1801 the vestry bought grain for sale to the poor at reduced prices. (fn. 9)
The church house may have been used as a poorhouse but in 1657 the parish was given the lease of half another house. (fn. 10) A poorhouse, also called the parish house and the almshouse, was recorded in 1755 and was maintained by the churchwardens until 1826 or later. The overseers seem to have been running it by 1836. (fn. 11) The house, at the east end of the village street, was owned by them in 1837 and was sold c. 1844. (fn. 12) In 1987 it was a private dwelling known as Park Gate.
The parish was part of the Bridgwater poorlaw union from 1836, Bridgwater rural district from 1894, and Sedgemoor district from 1974. (fn. 13)