A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Winshill was a tithing in Burton manor by the late 13th century, and in the 14th century it sent two frankpledges to the twice-yearly view. Two frankpledges were still chosen at the view in 1640, although responsibility for village matters had probably passed by that date to parish officers. (fn. 4) The pinfold in 1598 stood on Winshill green, where the township's 'common officer' (presumably the pinner) then had a cottage. (fn. 5) There was still a pinfold in 1852 but its site is uncertain. (fn. 6)
Winshill probably relieved its own poor, but no records survive for parochial administration. The township became part of Burton poor-law union on its formation in 1837. (fn. 7)
The part of Winshill taken into Burton borough in 1878 continued to exist as its own civil parish until it was incorporated into Burton-upon-Trent civil parish in 1904. (fn. 8)