A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The four people in Winshill who were presented in 1668 for not coming to church may have been followers of the Presbyterian Thomas Ford, who lived in Winshill and apparently preached there as well as at a conventicle in Burton. (fn. 6)
A house in Winshill registered for dissenters in 1807 was probably for the Methodists who formed a society there that year. (fn. 7) A chapel was built on waste ground in 1845, and on Census Sunday 1851 it had an afternoon congregation of 13, beside Sunday school children. (fn. 8) It was replaced by a chapel in High Bank Road, registered in 1879 and still in use in 1999, a porch having been added in 1973. (fn. 9)
Primitive Methodists established a society at Winshill probably in 1830; Sunday services were held fortnightly in 1831 but weekly by 1834. They had ceased by 1841. (fn. 10) Services were evidently resumed, and a chapel was built at the end of North Street in 1863. (fn. 11) From 1922 the building was used by Christian Brethren, who moved to a new site in Hawfield Lane in 1977 after the chapel had been demolished as part of the redevelopment of the area. (fn. 12)
United Free Methodists were meeting in Winshill by 1862, probably in a chapel in existence by 1871 at the junction of Hawfield Lane and East Street. (fn. 13) The chapel was replaced in 1887 by one at the corner of Church Hill Street and Mill Hill Lane. (fn. 14) It was closed in 1963, the congregation having moved the previous year to the Methodist church in High Bank Road. (fn. 15) The building was a shop in 1999.
An itinerant evangelist established a meeting of Christian Brethren in Winshill in 1904, and the congregation moved into the former Primitive Methodist chapel in North Street in 1922. In 1977 the members, then described as Plymouth Brethren, opened a gospel hall in Hawfield Lane, where they still met in 1999. (fn. 16)
Since 1994 Burton Community Church, an evangelical society which formerly met in Burton, has held Sunday services in Abbot Beyne school. (fn. 17)
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic church was opened in the former Winshill Institute in Mount Street in 1967. (fn. 18)