A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Manor Burton abbey's tenants at Stapenhill formed a tithing in Burton manor by the late 13th century, and in the 14th century they sent two frankpledges to the twice-yearly view. Two frankpledges were still chosen at the view in 1640. (fn. 1) The Stapenhill 'town servant' who had a house on waste land in 1598 was probably a pinner, and a pinner was certainly chosen at the manor court in 1632. (fn. 2) The pinfold in the late 19th century stood on the outskirts of the village in Stanton Road. (fn. 3)
Parish A cottage let to the Stapenhill overseers of the poor was being used as a workhouse in 1767. (fn. 4) The township became part of Burton poor-law union on its formation in 1837. (fn. 5) Two cottages held by the overseers in 1852 may have been poorhouses. (fn. 6)
The part of Stapenhill taken into Burton borough in 1878 continued to exist as its own civil parish until it was incorporated into Burton-upon-Trent civil parish in 1904. (fn. 7)