Stapenhill: Roman Catholicism

A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

'Stapenhill: Roman Catholicism', in A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent, ed. Nigel J Tringham( London, 2003), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/staffs/vol9/pp218-219 [accessed 18 July 2024].

'Stapenhill: Roman Catholicism', in A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Edited by Nigel J Tringham( London, 2003), British History Online, accessed July 18, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/staffs/vol9/pp218-219.

"Stapenhill: Roman Catholicism". A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Ed. Nigel J Tringham(London, 2003), , British History Online. Web. 18 July 2024. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/staffs/vol9/pp218-219.

Roman Catholicism

A labourer at Stapenhill was returned as a papist in 1705 and 1706. (fn. 10) In 1950 mass was being said at Stapenhill Institute by a priest from St. Mary and St. Modwen church in Burton. (fn. 11) A new parish of the Holy Rosary, in the diocese of Nottingham, was created in 1955, and a church was registered in 1957 at Waterside House in Waterside Road. In 1972 the congregation moved into the former Methodist church in Main Street, still in use as Holy Rosary church. (fn. 12)

A convent of the Presentation Sisters of the Blessed Virgin Mary was opened in 1953 in a 19th-century villa at the south end of Main Street. It was closed in 1966, and in 1987 the house became a nursing home called the Croft. (fn. 13)

Figure 72:

Former United Methodist Free chapel (now Roman Catholic church), Main Street, from west

Footnotes

  • 10. Staffs. Cath. Hist. xiii. 12.
  • 11. Burton Cath. Mag. xii (11), March 1950 (copy at R.C. church in Burton).
  • 12. Cath. Dir. (1958), 311; O.N.S. (Birkdale), Worship Reg. nos. 66398 and 73081.
  • 13. Inf. from provincial archivist, Presentation Ho., Matlock.