A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 6. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1962.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The present volume, the seventh in the Wiltshire series to be published, has been prepared like the previous ones under the superintendence of the Wiltshire Victoria County History Committee. That Committee, whose origin and constitution are described in the Editorial Note to the Victoria History of Wiltshire, Volume VII, has been good enough to continue its generous grant for the support of a local editor and an assistant editor, and the University of London has thus been enabled to continue publication. The University takes pleasure in renewing its gratitude to the participating Authorities in Wiltshire for their friendly co-operation.
It is unfortunately necessary to record four losses by death that the local committee has sustained since the last Wiltshire volume appeared. Alderman W. R. Robins, the first Chairman of the Committee, died in 1959, shortly after his resignation from the Committee, and his successor, Alderman J. L. Calderwood, in 1960. Both of them played a vital part in forming the Committee and in guiding its early steps beneficently. They have thus earned the lasting thanks of the learned world. Dr. G. M. Young, who was Hon. Editor of the Wiltshire series from 1948 (co-editor after 1949), died in 1959. Councillor A. C. Brookes, representative of the Salisbury City Council since 1957, died in 1960. In 1960 Alderman S. V. Christie-Miller was appointed to succeed Mr. Calderwood as Chairman. It should also be recorded here that in 1959 Mrs. Margaret Saunders (now Mrs. Morris) resigned from the assistant editorship, and was replaced by Mr. K. H. Rogers, who has rendered exceptional services in the preparation of this volume.
This is the first 'topographical' volume in the Wiltshire set to appear since Volume VII was published in 1953. The Editorial Note to that volume recorded that the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments was about to start work in the county and that a simple treatment of architecture had accordingly been adopted. The Commission is now actually at work in Wiltshire and the simple treatment has continued. In certain respects this volume may be thought to represent an advance on Volume VII. In particular, it has been the aim to handle the economic history of each parish and the history of its government more systematically here. Also the history of charities has been brought up to date, whereas in Volume VII it terminated at the beginning of the century.
It may be desirable to explain why the volume is constituted as it is. It is designed to cover the ancient administrative centre of the county, Wilton, its successor, Salisbury, and those parishes, whether in the hundred of Underditch or outside, which in whole or in part, are now parcel of those towns. It follows that the history of the parishes of Fisherton Anger and Fugglestone St. Peter has been included in this volume and will therefore not be included in the eventual history of the hundred of Branch and Dole.
Thanks are due to the many persons who have helped in the compilation of the volume either by granting access to documents in their care or ownership, by examining drafts, or by offering advice. Particular mention must be made of the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, the Mayor, Corporation, and Town Clerk of the City of New Sarum, the Mayor, Corporation, and Town Clerk of the Borough of Wilton, Mr. A. M. Barker (the Salisbury Diocesan Registrar), Mr. J. H. Bradley (Chief Education Officer for Wiltshire), Mr. Norman Drinkwater (of the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments), Miss Joan Gibbs, Mr. G. C. Moody, the Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery, C.V.O., Mr. M. G. Rathbone (County Archivist), Mr. R. E. Sandell (Hon. Librarian, Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society), and Mr. H. de S. Shortt (Curator, Salisbury, South Wilts., and Blackmore Museum).