A History of the County of York: the City of York. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1961.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
After the expulsion of the Jews in the 13th century (fn. 1) there appears to have been no Jewish religious community in the city until modern times. The York Hebrew Congregation was formed in 1892 and a room at 9 Aldwark was rented for the services. (fn. 2) Originally there were about 20 families but these had dwindled to 8 by 1956 and there was no resident Rabbi at this date. The room in Aldwark was then still used for services. (fn. 3)