The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 115] In the parish of St. Mary Magdalen in West Fishmarket
609. [1170–97] Grant of Stephen prior and convent to William Basset (fn. 1) and his heirs by the law of inheritance to hold land in the Fishmarket in the parish of St. Mary; rent 30d. p.a.; this land the canons had of the gift of Osbert Torneis and it is of the soke of G(or)aleng; in depth 108 ft. and in width 24 ft.; William swore fealty; gersuma one gold piece (aureum) and 2 'barsos'; witnesses, Richard the priest of the chapel, Richard the priest of St. Mary Magdalen, Ernald the priest of St. Mary Somerset.
C.A.D., ii, A 2423.
610. [List of those paying rent]: William Basset; William Rufus; Laurence Rufus; his widow; John de Algate, 1 and 3 Ed. II who granted the tenement to John de Montague (Monte Acuto) who paid 2s. 6d. as appears by their charter (fn. 2) enrolled 3 Ed. II; Adam de Montague; Ralph de Lynne, tailor, who bequeathed the tenement to London Bridge as appears in his will enrolled 12 Mar. 1359.
611. Total of this parish 2s. 6d. and it is tithed at this in the exemplification of King Richard.