A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
West out of Little Britain, in Aldersgate Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720-Boyle, 1799).
This site is now occupied by some of the buildings belonging to St. Bartholomew's Hospital.
Axe Alley, Leadenhall Street
See Sussex Place.
On the east side of Aldermanbury, at No.20, in Cripplegate Ward Within (O. and M. 1677-Elmes, 1831).
The site has been rebuilt and is now occupied by offices and warehouses, etc.
East out of St. Mary Axe. In Aldgate Ward (O. and M. 1677).
No later reference.
Axe Yard, Lime Street
East out of Lime Street. In Aldgate Ward, near the Ward boundary (Strype, 1720-55).
Seems to be the same as " Ball Alley," Lime Street (q.v.). Name derived from the sign.
Ayre's Charity Almshouses
On the north side of Moorgate Street Buildings, at the western end (O.S.). In Coleman Street Ward. Founded 1544 by Mr. Christopher Ayre, merchant and leather-seller for six poor men and their wives. Left in trust to the Leather-sellers' Company. These almshouses formed originally Almshouse Yard (q.v.) on the north side of White's Alley, Coleman Street, and are still shown on that site in O.S., although much altered and rebuilt. Removed 1894, and the inhabitants dispersed with liberal allowances (Welch).
Sometimes spelt Eyre, Air.