Ball Alley, St. Katherine's - Bandy Leg Alley

A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

'Ball Alley, St. Katherine's - Bandy Leg Alley', in A Dictionary of London, (London, 1918) pp. . British History Online [accessed 22 April 2024]

In this section

Ball Alley, St. Katherine's

Out of St. Katherine's Lane, East Smithfield (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Ball Alley, St. Paul's Churchyard

Out of St. Paul's Churchyard.

Named after the " Ball," a house with such a sign standing there 1594-1603. John Newbury, the bookseller, dwelt there (Lond. Topog. Rec. III. 115).

No later mention.

Ball Alley, Thames Street

South out of Thames Street to the Thames, east of Black-boy Alley in Castle Baynard Ward (Leake, 1666).

Not shown in the later maps.

Ball and Shears Court

South-west out of Houndsditch (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755). In Portsoken Ward.

Site now occupied by business houses.

Ball Court, Cornhill

South out of Cornhill, at No.38, east of Birchin Lane (P.O. Directory). In Cornhill Ward.

First mention : Boyle, 1799.

It seems to be shown on the maps of the 18th century, etc., as Rocque, 1746, but not named.

Ball Court, Giltspur Street

East out of Giltspur Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (Collmgwood, 1907).

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

Called " Bull Court " in Horwood, 1799. " Ball Yard," Rocque, 1746.

Site now occupied by the new Out-Patient Department and other buildings of St. Bartholomew's Hospital.

Ball Court, Jewry Street

West out of Jewry Street. In Aldgate Ward (L.C.C. List of Streets, 1912) at No. 15 (Lockie, 1810).

Earliest mention : P.C. 1732.

Site rebuilt for offices and business houses.

Ball Court, Mincing Lane

Out of Mincing Lane (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Ball Court, Old Bailey

East out of Old Bailey in Farringdon Ward Without (Hatton, 1708-Boyle, 1799).

Former name : " Bell Savage Yard " (O. and M. 1677).

Removed for the erection of the Sessions House. See Central Criminal Court.

Ball Court, Petticoat Lane

Out of Petticoat Lane (Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Ball Court, St. Katherine's

East out of St. Katherine's Lane, a few doors from No.50 Upper East Smithfield (Strype, ed. 1755-Lockie, 1816).

Former name : " Ball Alley," P.C. 1732.

Removed for the formation of St. Katherine's Docks, etc.

Ball Yard

In Beech Lane. In Cripplegate Ward Without (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Ball Yard, Giltspur Street

See Ball Court.

Ballardes Lane

West out of Chancery Lane.

A messuage in Chancery Lane is described as lying between the messuage in the tenure of the Six Clerks north and Ballard's Lane south and abutting on the highway called Chancellor Lane east and the field called Thicketfield west, 1530 (L. and P. H. VIII. V. p. 22).

The description would seem to indicate that this was the early name of Carey Street (q.v.).

Ballast Office

See Old Trinity House.

Balmoral Buildings

On the south side of Queen Victoria Street at No. 91 (P.O. Directory). In Queenhithe Ward, between Fye foot lane and Lambeth Hill.

First mention : L.C.C. list, 1901.

Baltic (The)

See South Sea House.

Baltic Exchange

On the east side of St. Mary Axe at Nos. 24-28 (P.O. Directory).

Former name : " Jeffrey's Square " (q.v.).

Commemorates the name of the Baltic (q.v.).

Bancor Inn

See Bangor House.

Bandy Leg Alley

By Fleet Ditch. In Farringdon Ward Without (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.