Foster Street - Four Dove Court

A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


In this section

Foster Street

North out of Flying Horse Yard, near the western boundary of Bishopsgate Ward Without (Horwood, 1799-O.S. 1848-51).

Former name : "Broad Way" (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).

Site now occupied by Broad Street Station.

Founders' Court

South out of Fore Street in Cripplegate Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720-Boyle, 1799).

The site is now occupied by offices and business houses.

Founders' Court

North out of Lothbury at No. 5 (P.O. Directory). In Coleman Street Ward.

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

Named after Founders' Hall in the Court.

Founders' Hall

At the north end of Founders' Court, Lothbury. In Coleman Street Ward.

First mention : S. 285.

Built 1531. Destroyed in the Fire 1666 and rebuilt. Let as a Dissenting Chapel called Founders' Hall Chapel (Lockie, 1810, and Elmes, 1831).

Rebuilt 1845 and leased to the Electric Telegraph Company, and now in the occupation of the General Post Office.

The Founders' Hall is now at No. 12 St. Swithin's Lane. Hall rebuilt 1877.

Company incorporated 1614.

The standard weights were kept here.

A Roman tesselated pavement discovered under the Hall.

Founders' Hall Chapel

See Founders' Hall.

Fountain Alley, Minories

See Fountain Court.

Fountain Court

Out of Bread Street (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Fountain Court

Out of Lothbury (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Fountain Court

East out of the Minories on the site of the present Colonial Avenue (q.v.). In Portsoken Ward (O.S. 1880).

First mention : P.C. 1732.

Former name : "Fountain Alley" (O. and M. 1677).

(By measurement this Alley would seem to have lain further north.)

Rebuilt towards the end of the i8th century and enlarged probably in 1793, so that in 1799 it seems to have covered the site of the former "London Prentice Yard" (q.v.).

On or adjacent to the site of "The Old Fountain" Inn, taken down in 1793, of which there is an engraving in Smith's Antiquities of London, Plate LXV. Over the fireplace of the dining-room of this old inn was a date within a year of 1480.

Named after the inn.

Fountain Court

East out of Aldermanbury at No. 1 (P.O. Directory). In Cripplegate Ward Within.

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

At that time it had a passage into Church Alley leading by St. Lawrence Jewry Church to Cateaton Street (Gresham Street).

The site was formerly occupied by the house of Sir Erasmus de la Fountaine, Knight, and hence the name of the court.

Fountain Court

On the west side of Middle Temple Lane, within the Temple precincts (P.O. Directory) on the north side of Middle Temple Hall. In Farringdon Ward Without.

First mention : Rocque, 1746.

Former name : "Hall (The) Court" (q.v.).

There is a fountain in the Court.

Fountain Court

South out of Cheapside, north-west of St. Matthew's Church. In Farringdon Ward Within (P.C. 1732-O.S. 1880).

Former names : "St. Matthew's Alley," "St. Matthew's Court" (O. and M. 1677-P.C. 1732). "Shepheards Court " (Strype, 1720 and 1755).

Named after the Fountain Tavern there.

Rebuilt for business purposes.

Fountain Court

South out of Old Bethlem in Bishopsgate Ward Without and west to New Broad Street (Lockie, 1810-O.S. 1880).

Site now occupied by Liverpool Street Station.

Fountain Court

East out of Shoe Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

The site is now occupied by offices and business houses.

Fountain Tavern

On the north side of St. Ann's Lane, near Aldersgate, in Aldersgate Ward (Strype, ed. 1720, I. iii. 121).

Commonly called the "Mourning Bush" (Maitland, 1775, II. 767).

Site now occupied by offices and business houses.

Fountain Tavern

On the west side of Little Old Bailey, in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746).

Site now covered by Holborn Viaduct Station and the railway lines.

Fountain Tavern

On the south side of Cheapside, with a passage to St. Matthew's Church, Friday Street, in Farringdon Ward Within (Strype, ed. 1720, I. iii. 196).

Name survived in Fountain Court (q.v.).

Four Corners (The)

So called of Fenchurch Street east, Bridge Street south, Grasse Street north, Lombard Street west (S. 203).

No later mention.

Four Dove Court

Out of Noble Street, Foster Lane (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Four Dove Court

West out of St. Martin le Grand, in Aldersgate Ward (Horwood, 1799).

First mention : Strype, ed. 1720.

Former names : "Four Dove Alley" (O. and M. 1677). "Fower Doves Alley" (3411. VIII. L. and P. H. VIII., XVII. 396). "iiij Dove Alley" 30-33 H. VIII. (Kemp, 208).

Site now occupied by the General Post Office buildings.

Name derived from the sign.