Whalebone Court, Bow Lane - Whitby Wharf

A Dictionary of London. Originally published by H Jenkins LTD, London, 1918.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


In this section

Whalebone Court, Bow Lane

See Half Moon Court.

Whalebone Passage

North out of Tokenhouse Yard, a narrow footway (L.C.C. List, 1912).

Leading into Whalebone Court, Moorgate Street Buildings (q.v.), hence the name.

Wharf of Nicholas de la Garderobe

In parish of St. Michael Queenhithe, in Queenhithe Ward. "Super croftam kay," 5 Ed. I. (Cal. L. Bk. B. 267).

No later mention.

Wharton's Court

North out of Holborn, the southern end only in Farringdon Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720-Elmes, 1831).

Warton Court" in Strype. "Wharton Court" (Rocque, 1746-Horwood, 1799).

Former name: "Fishers Alley" (O. and M. 1677).

Probably named after the owner or builder.

Wharton's Court

On Lambeth Hill (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

"Walton's Court" (P.C. 1732).

Not named in the maps.

Wheat sheaf Alley

North out of Leadenhall Street, west of Creechurch Lane (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755). In Aldgate Ward.

The site seems to be occupied now by the West India House, Nos. 96 to 98 Leadenhall Street.

Name derived from the sign.

Wheatsheaf Alley

South out of Upper Thames Street to Old Swan Wharf, west of Fishmongers' Hall Street (O.S.).

First mention: O. and M. 1677.

Founded on site of the Wheatsheaf public house, anciently " Whiteley's Rents" (Trans. L. and M. Arch. Soc. N.S. II. (2), p.198).

"Wheatsheaf Wharf" is mentioned in L.C.C. List, 1912.

The site of the alley seems to be occupied by Fishmongers' Hall Street, there being no passage out of Upper Thames Street to the River between Fishmongers' Hall Street and Black Raven Court.

Wheatsheaf Brewhouse

On the west side of Redcross Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746).

Former name: "Golden Lyon Inn" (O. and M. 1677). Site now covered by the Metropolitan Railway.

Wheatsheaf Wharf

South out of Upper Thames Street, at No. 1, to the Thames east of Puddle Dock (P.O. Directory). In Castle Baynard Ward.

First mention: O.S. 1848-51.

Former names: "Sand Wharf" (Horwood, 1799). " Common Lane" (Rocque, 1746).

Wheatsheaf Yard

East out of Farringdon Street to the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway lines, in Farringdon Ward Without (O.S. 1848-51, and Bacon, 1912).

"Meal Yard" (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).

In the O. S. 1848-51 it leads into George Yard, Seacoal Lane.

Site now occupied by offices and business houses.

Wheeler's Alley, Yard

See Red Cross Court Minories.

Wheeler's Wharf

In St. Katherine's precinct, on the west side of Hermitage Bridgo (Lockie, 1816).

Not named in the maps.


Incorporated 1670.

Whicheler's Yard

North out of Thames Street, east of Harp Lane (Strype, 1720-Boyle, 1799).

There is a "Witchellors Yard " in Rocque, but further east.

" Wichelow's Warehouses " in Lockie, 1816.

Qy.= Wilson's Yard (q.v.).

Whillington Court

In Little Elbow Lane (Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Qy. =Whittington Court, Whittington College being in the neighbourhood.

Whipp's Alley

Near Holborn Conduit, in Farringdon Ward Without.

No.68 Snow Hill and the adjoining houses occupied the site (End. Ch. Rep. St. Sepulchre's, 1902, p.9).

Whiskers Court

See Whistler's Court.

Whistler's Court

West out of Salters' Hall Court, at No.3, on the south side of Salters' Hall, by London Stone, Cannon Street (P.O. Directory). In Walbrook Ward.

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

"Whiskers Court" in Horwood, 1799.


See White Tawyers' Seld.

Whitby Wharf

South out of Upper Thames Street at No.79, east of Three Crane Stairs (Lockie, 1810 and 1816).

Not named in the maps.