Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 11 (Revised), Court Officers, 1660-1837. Originally published by University of London, London, 2006.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Keeper of the Racehorses 1693–1782
The office of keeper of the racehorses or running horses at Newmarket, to which appointments were made by the Crown, was created in 1693 with an allowance of £1,000 for the maintenance of ten horses and necessaries. The allowance was reduced to £600 (for six horses) in 1702, restored to its former level in 1709 but reduced again to £600 in 1728. The office was abolished in 1782. (fn. 1)
A groom of the running horses occurs circa 1743 at £63 per annum for four stud helpers.