Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 11 (Revised), Court Officers, 1660-1837. Originally published by University of London, London, 2006.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The Stud 1661–1728
In 1661 the office of master of the stud was granted by the Crown by letters patent under the great seal. Subsequent appointments were made by warrant of the master of the horse. The wages were fixed at £26 in 1682. By 1689 a salary of £200 was provided. The office was left vacant between 1702 and File P 680 1708 and discontinued following the death of Richard Marshall in 1728 after which the stud was placed under the direct management of the master of the horse. (fn. 1)
The stud keeper was appointed by warrant of the master of the horse. He was established in 1760 at £40 per annum. By 1807 this had risen to £94 4s plus an allowance of £43 17s 3d. This office was abolished by the Establishment of 5 July 1823. (fn. 2)
The marshal farrier of the stud was appointed by the master of the horse. This office was established in 1708, and was paid £60 per annum (as sergeant and marshal farrier to the stud) on the Establishment of 1714. The office was abolished on 1 Oct. 1715. (fn. 3) The stud farrier was appointed by warrant of the master of the horse. He received £20 per annum on the Establishment of 29 Nov. 1760. This salary was abolished in 1782 when this place became a purveyorship. (fn. 4)
The groomships of the stud were in the gift of the master of the horse. Two such offices were established in 1708 and were paid £36 per annum on the Establishment of 1714. They are not noticed in Household documents thereafter until the reign of George II, when they were given an additional allowance of £18 4s for the keeping of a horse. A third such servant was added to take care of colts at Windsor Lodge in 1767. By 1807 they made salaries of £54 4s, plus the additional allowance noted above. In 1812 the head stud groom made £115, the two other such grooms £95 per annum. This sub-department was abolished on the Establishment of 1830. (fn. 5)
The helpers to the stud (or stud helpers) were appointed by warrant of the master of the horse. The Establishment of 1714 lists four such servants, providing no names. In 1760 the four stud helpers receiving £30 per annum apiece. Their number was reduced to three in 1771, then raised to four again in 1804. By 1807 they were entitled to additional allowances worth between £13 and £44 1s 6d. The position was eliminated on the Establishment of 6 Apr. 1812. (fn. 6)
The gate porter to the stud was established at £18 per annum in 1823. (fn. 7)
|1661||4 June||Darcy, J.|
|1674||4 Jan.||Oglethorpe, S.|
|1689||10 May||Pullein, T.|
|1702||8 Mar.||Office vacant|
|1708||1 Nov.||Marshall, R.|