An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
45 SOUTHGATE (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. VII, S.W.)
Southgate is a modern parish adjoining Enfield on the S.
(1) Parish Church of Christ Church, on the S. side of Waterfall Road, was founded as a chapel of Edmonton by Sir John Weld in 1615. The original building was demolished in 1862 and the present church built to the E. of it. It contains, from the old chapel, the following:—
Fittings—Bells: ten and sanctus; sanctus by W. Carter and T. Bartlet, 1616, given by Lady Joane Brooke. Monuments: In tower—on N. wall, (1) to Sir John Weld, 1622–3, black marble tablet in painted frame with achievement-of-arms; (2) to George Hadley, 1654, and Ann (Harrison), his second wife, plain black marble tablet. In churchyard—W. of tower, (3) to Ann (Phillipes), wife of Larrance Cranaway, 1648, headstone; (4) to Rebecca, daughter of Cap. Edward Shrawley, 1683, headstone. Miscellanea: In ringing-room of tower—stone tablet inscribed "Weld Chapel 1622," but perhaps of later date.
(2) Homestead Moat, on the N. side of Ford's Grove and E. of the New River, is fragmentary.
(3) Skinners' Almshouses, in the N. angle between Green Lanes and Fox Lane, were built in 1895, on the removal of the earlier building in Great St. Helen's, City. On the modern gate-piers are the figures of an almsman and an almswoman and on the front of the chapel is a cartouche of the arms of the Skinners' Company; these are of late 17th-century date. The almshouses were originally founded by Sir Andrew Judd in 1551 and augmented by Lewis Newbery in 1688.