An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
46 STAINES (A.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XIX, S.W. (b)XXIV, N.W.)
Staines is a parish and small town in the S.W. angle of the county.
a(1) Parish Church of St. Mary stands in the town. The West Tower was re-built in 1631 and is ascribed to Inigo Jones. The rest of the church was re-built in 1828 and has subsequently been altered and enlarged.
Architectural Description—The West Tower (12½ ft. square) is a brick building with stone dressings; it is of three stages finished with a modern embattled parapet. The ground-stage has, in the E. wall, a doorway with chamfered jambs and four-centred head. The N. and S. walls have each a modern window and above that on the S. is a stone of 1791 giving the date of the building of the tower as 1631 and ascribing it to Inigo Jones. In the W. wall is a modern doorway and above it an inscription recording the restoration and heightening of the tower in 1828. The second stage has a modern opening, in the E. wall, now blocked. The other three walls have each a stone window of one segmental-headed light and probably of the 17th century. The bell-chamber has been largely re-built and has a modern window in each wall.
Fittings—Monuments: In churchyard—against S. wall of nave, (1) to Thomes Heames, 1705–6, head-stone with shield-of-arms; S.E. of chancel, (2) to Elizabeth Barrow, 1704, headstone.
a(2) London Stone, 260 yards W.S.W. of the church, was erected to mark the western limits of the jurisdiction of the City of London over the Thames. The stone is somewhat in the form of a Roman altar and stands on a pedestal, plinth and three steps. The actual stone dates probably from the 17th century and has panelled sides; the tapering top is partly broken and bears the inscription in Roman capitals "[G]od preserve ye citty [of London]"; there was formerly also the date 1285. The stone was re-set on the pedestal, plinth and steps in 1781.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys or two storeys with attics. The walls are timber-framed, with some later brickwork and the roofs are tile or slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(3) Duncroft, house 150 yards N.N.E. of the church, has been extensively altered and added to in the 18th century and modern times; its W. end may be of the 17th century and one rain-water head bears the date and initials 1631 W. and V. E. Inside the building one room has original panelling made up with modern work; the fireplace is flanked by enriched pilasters; the overmantel is of three bays and two stages; the lower bays are divided and flanked by terminal pilasters and have arched panels with landscapes in marquetry; the upper bays have rectangular panels; the work is probably not in situ.
a(4) St. Mary's Cottage, at the S.E. angle of the churchyard, is of brick and was built probably early in the 18th century. The E. part has a wooden eaves-cornice. The staircase has turned balusters.
a(5) Range of tenements, Nos. 36–42 on the S.W. side of Church Street 160 yards S.E. of the church, has been much altered. The two W. tenements are of later and perhaps early 18th-century date.
a(6) House, No. 34, immediately E. of (5).
a(7) House, Nos. 6 and 8, 230 yards S.E. of (6).
b(8) Range of houses and shops, Nos. 21–27 on the N.E. side of Church Street 430 yards S.E. of the church, is of brick with a modillioned eaves-cornice; some of the windows have solid frames with mullion and transom.
b(9) House with shop, Nos. 9 and 11 on the S.E. side of High Street 540 yards S.E. of the church.
b(10) Blue Anchor Hotel, immediately N.E. of (9), is partly of three storeys with attics. The front part was re-built in brick c. 1700 and has a modillioned eaves-cornice. Inside the building, a room on the first floor has early 18th-century panelling and a fireplace with brackets and panelled overmantel; other rooms have dadoes and fireplaces of simpler character. The early 18th-century staircase has twisted balusters, square newels and close strings; a second staircase has turned balusters and square newels.
b(11) House, No. 17 immediately N.E. of (10), is of brick and was built early in the 18th century. The staircase has twisted balusters and close strings.
b(12) House with shop, Nos. 29 and 31 on the W. corner of Thames Street, has been much altered.
b(13) House with shops, Nos. 32–36 on the N. side of High Street 630 yards S.E. of the church, is a brick building of three storeys with a coved cornice; it was built c. 1700. Inside the building are two original staircases with turned balusters and square newels.
b(14) House, with shops Nos. 44–50, E. of (13), is of similar date and type to (13); the front has a modillioned eaves-cornice. The four original staircases have turned balusters and newels with moulded terminals.
b(15) White Lion Inn, on the S.E. side of High Street 120 yards E.N.E. of (14), has extensive 18th-century and modern additions.
a(16) House, No. 15 on the N.W. side of Hale Street 350 yards E.S.E. of the church, retains some early 18th-century panelling and a staircase with turned balusters.
a(17) Cottage, on the W. side of Moor Lane 950 yards N.N.W. of the church.