An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1805.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Or the town on the hill, for so I take its name to signify, was always, and still is, part of Cossey manor, the lord of Cossey being lord here; there were two freemen at the Conqueror's survey, who held 30 acres here, which belonged to William Earl Warren, which was all but what was included at that time in Cossey, and reckoned as part of it. (fn. 1)
The rectory is valued in the King's Books at 6l. 9s. 9d. ob. and being sworn of the clear yearly value of 40l. 12s. 3d. ob. it is discharged of first fruits and tenths; the advowson belonged to Cossey, till it was given from it with a tenement and lands in Colton, to the family sirnamed De Colton; and in 1223, John de Colton released the advowson, and confirmed the former grant of it made by his ancestors in alms to the Priors of Windham, who held it as a vicarage, till John of Oxford Bishop of Norwich, with the consent of the Prior of Windham, disappropriated it, on condition the rectors and their successours paid a pension of two marks yearly to the Priory; but in 1228, after the death of the Archbishop of Canterbury, who had confirmed it, Robert de Nevile, then rector, refused to pay it, and the Prior entered on the church; but it was soon agreed and the pension settled to be payed, and William, son of John de Colton, released all his right to the Prior, in the advowson, which he says his father John gave them, and the Prior renounced all his right in the appropriation to the rector, and from that time the house of Windham was always patron, till its dissolution, and then it came to the King, and it hath remained ever since in the Crown.
The Church is dedicated to St. Andrew; the rector had no house nor land in Edward the Third's time; it was valued with the portion of tithes belonging to Wimondham at 15 marks, procurations 6s. 8d. synodals 23d. Peter-pence 19d. carvage 6s. 8d. and the town paid 46s. and 8d. to each tenth. There are now 22 acres of glebe; there were the lights of St. Andrew, St. Mary, and St. John Baptist, in the church. The gild of St. John Baptist was kept at his altar, and St. Peter's gild at the altar of that saint.
In the south chancel window, az. three maids heads cooped, proper, crined or, quarterly, the first is broken, the second and third are az. a fess or between three bezants, fourth party per fess G. and - - - - a griffin or.
On a brass in the church,
Here lyeth the Body of Tho. Spendlove Gent. late Chief Constable of this Hundred, who died 22 April 1631. Æt. 45.
The church is leaded, and the chancel tiled, the tower is square, and hath three bells; the church is 26 yards long and 10 broad.
Rogers son of Rogers and Mary Spencer died June 3, 1662.
In a lozenge, Pooley, or, a lion rampant sab.
Mrs. Mary Wife of John Pooley of Morley, Gent. died 23 Dec. 1715.
Barry wavy of ten, over all a lion rampant.
James son of James Seaborne, late of Wymundham Gent. died 13 May 1710, Ætat. 81, of great Prudence and Piety, a Father to his Relations, and a good Friend upon any Occasion, to all about him, as looking for Eternal Life: and in the Vault under this stone is interred, Mary his Relict, who died 28 March, 1722, Ætat. 72.
In the altar. John Fairclough, Rector, died Aug. 14, 1730, Æt. 31.
In the church. A stone for Charles Daveney Gent. Febr. 3, 1731, Æt. 76. Another for, Parham Son of Henry Daveney Gent. and Mary his Wife, 20 Aug. 1731, Æt. 32 Months.
My Time was short, the longer I am to rest, God calleth soonest, whom he loveth best.
On a mural monument, with Pooley's arms and crest, viz. a demi-lion sab.
M. S. In hope of an happy Resurrection, underneath lyeth interred the Body of Philip Pooley Gent. June 17, 1715, an affectionate Husband, a good Father, a kind Master, a devout Frequenter of the Publick Worship, a true lover of the Clergy, a charitable Benefactor to the Poor, an obliging Neighbour, a generous friend, a Pious Christian, whose exalted Soul through the infinite Merits of Jesus Christ, enjoys a blessed Immortality.
Beatus servus ille, quem venerit Dominus, ejus invenerit ita facientem.
On a mural monument on the north side of the chancel.
Vicino in Pulvere, felicis Spe Resurrectionis, quiescunt Reliquiæ Revdi. Viri Henrici Rix A. M. hujus Ecclesiæ Rectoris, nec non et Ecclesiæ de Deopham, in hoc Comitatu Vicarij dignissimi, in utrasque munificentissimi, Pietatis operibus, Charitatis illa adjecit: Posteritati providus, Liberorum Indigorum Educationi liberaliter admodum consuluit, Temperantiæ, Charitatis, et Virtutum aliarum plurimarum Exemplar reliquens. obijt 24 die Julij Anno Dom: 1728: Æt: 58.
Tranquillus vixit, placidus obdormivit, Lætus resuscitabitur.
Here are the arms of Delapole quartering Goldwell; and arg. a chief gul. a lion rampant or.
1317, died master Tho. de Depham; he held it united to Estone.
1317, Baldwin Poleyn. The Prior and Convent of Wymondham.
1326, William de Baumburgh. O.
1328, Adam de Brunham.
1333, Robert Wauncy of King's Walden.
1343, Robert de Ryseby. By the Pope's provision.
1361, John de Stukele. Change with Wymondham.
1365, Richard son of John de Kimberle. Ditto.
1365, John Mey. Change with Bouthorp.
1372, Thomas Davy.
William Fesaunt. Change with Pakefield.
1374, John de Cressey. Ditto.
1404, William Cantele of Coston.
1406, Robert Waleswode. Robert Elot. R.
1418, Robert Coope.
1425, Walter de West-Walton. Change with Rushbrook, 1426, buried in the chancel; his name was Walter Grey of West-Walton.
1426, Thomas Dote. R.
1441, John Gray.
1453, Brother Nic. Bungey, a Carmelite friar. Lapse R.
1458, Robert Leek. O.
1508, Roger Salkeld. John Abbot of Wimondham.
1515, Thomas Langar. O. The last presented by the Abbot.
1549, Jeffery Turnour. Robert Agges of Wymondham, by grant of the late priory, dissolved. Deprived.
1554, Nicholas Appleby. Lapse.
1586, Thomas West, A. M. The Queen.
1589, John Cook. Ditto. United to Barford mediety; he was a licensed preacher, and there were then 62 communicants.
1638, Nicholas Barwick. The Crown.
1652, Robert Harsnet. The Crown.
1702, Henry Rix. Ditto.
1728, John Fairclough. The King.
1731, The Rev. Mr. Samuel Carter, A. M. on Fairclough's death, is the present  rector, and holds it united to Barford mediety. The King