A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Mr. Ross, the preacher who was teaching without licence at Winstone in 1602, (fn. 1) was perhaps a nonconformist, but no further evidence of nonconformity has been found until 1816 when Henry Hawkins of Eastcombe registered a barn in the parish for use by the Baptists, (fn. 2) who soon after built a chapel on the south side of the village street. (fn. 3) In 1851 the chapel had a congregation of 27 for morning service and 50 in the afternoon. There was a Sunday school attached. (fn. 4) The chapel continued in use in 1971 when the congregation numbered 10. (fn. 5) There was a resident Baptist minister in the parish in the early 20th century, (fn. 6) when a Wesleyan minister was also recorded (fn. 7) although no conclusive evidence of any Methodist meeting in the parish has been found. (fn. 8) By 1885 the Plymouth Brethren had established a meeting (fn. 9) which flourished until the early 1960s. The meeting was led by Raymond Barrett, the village blacksmith, in its early years and possibly met in the meeting-room adjoining a cottage on Ermin Street. Later it met in a corrugated iron hut on Ermin Street just south of Beech Pike; (fn. 10) the hut was derelict in 1971.