A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
An unlicensed school was functioning at Winstone in 1602 (fn. 1) but no further evidence of one has been found until the 19th century. In 1818 there was a Sunday school supported by the rector and the principal residents, (fn. 2) and in 1825 all 36 children in the parish were attending the Sunday school; 13 of them were also attending a day-school (fn. 3) which seems to have functioned fitfully (fn. 4) until 1835 when it was given a new building. (fn. 5) The Sunday school and day-school each had 42 pupils in 1847 when, because they were a heavy charge on the rector, they received grants from the National Society of £5 and £25 respectively. (fn. 6) In 1872 a new building was opened west of High Cottages, (fn. 7) and the school had an average attendance of 37 in 1894. (fn. 8) It was closed in 1967 when there were 16 pupils on the books, and the buildings were used as a sculptor's workshop in 1971, when most of the children attended school in Cirencester. (fn. 9)