A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Quernedon, 1301; Querndone, 1302; Quordone, 1309. Quarndon or Quarnton was the usual spelling till modern times.
This boundary township on the hill-side has an area of 798 acres. The hamlet of Quarlton lies near the western border at a height of about 650 ft. above the sea; the ground rises rapidly to the north-east, over 1,250 ft. being attained at the boundary. The population was in 1901 included in Edgeworth.
Wickenlow is in the northern part of the township, and Waives in the south-eastern.
The road from Bury to Blackburn crosses the western corner of the township.
There are old-established calico-printing works on the border of Turton. The land is chiefly in pasture.
As a township Quarlton was joined to Edgeworth in 1898, and so ceased to exist. (fn. 1)
In 1666 the houses in Quarlton were few and small; none had more than two hearths liable to the tax, and the whole number for the township was only twenty-one. (fn. 2)
The manor of QUARLTON appears to have been the two oxgangs of land in Edgeworth which the Radcliffes reserved on granting the main portion to the Traffords. (fn. 3) It afterwards came into the hands of the Radcliffes of Smithills, and their successors, the Bartons, (fn. 4) and was sold in 1723 by Lord Fauconberg. (fn. 5)
The Hospitallers had land in Quarlton from an early date; and this was occupied by the Smithills family. (fn. 6)
Mrs. Julia Wright of Mottram Hall near Macclesfield is now said to hold the manor. She inherited it from her father the Rev. Henry Wright, on his death resuming her maiden name. She married the late Capt. J. F. D'A. Street. (fn. 7)