A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
Standish with Langtree; Shevington; Welch Whittle; Charnock Richard; Duxbury; Heath Charnock; Adlington; Anderton; Worthington; Coppull;
The parish of Standish has an area of 15,377½ acres, and its population in 1901 numbered 18,496. It is curious that the township of Wigan, physically belonging to Standish, has always lain in another parish and hundred. On the formation of the barony of Penwortham, about 1100, the whole of this parish was included within it, except the townships of Worthington and Coppull, which were given to Manchester. Though one of the ancient roads to the north passes through it, (fn. 1) its history has been comparatively uneventful, but the Reformation and the Revolution met with much quiet opposition. The Young Pretender in 1745 marched through the parish, but obtained no adherents from it. The Duke of Cumberland marched through in pursuit, and the bells were rung. The district has remained to a great extent agricultural, but coal-mining and manufactures have long been carried on. (fn. 2) The agricultural land in the parish is now used as follows: —Arable, 4,532 acres; permanent grass, 8,460; woods and plantations, 598. (fn. 3)
The ancient 'fifteenth' from the parish amounted to £6 12s. 4½d. when the hundred paid £30 12s. 8d. (fn. 4); while to the county lay of 1624 this parish paid two-ninths of the sum levied from the hundred. (fn. 5)
The principal landowner contributing to the subsidy of 1525 was Ralph Standish of Standish, but many others are named in the parish. (fn. 6) Several recusants compounded in 1628. (fn. 7)
Dr. Kuerden in his itinerary, written about 1690, mentions several of the features of the district (fn. 8) :—'Having passed Standish you come to the Quakers . . . then crossing a little arched bridge of stone you pass over Coppull Moor, and on the right hand leave Blainscough Hall belonging to the ancient family of the Worthingtons, a little above which stands Coppull Chapel and near to it the ancient seat of the Prescotts, now the estate and residence of Captain Ward. You next cross Whittle Water, which running eastward meets with the Douglas in Adlington; then you meet with another road coming from Chisnall and pass by the Park Hall in Charnock belonging to a younger branch of the family of the Hoghtons of the Tower, and going on towards Charnock Green, 5 miles from Wigan, you arrive at Charnock bowling-green, leaving the Old Hall of Charnock whose barn is a land-mark to those on the western seas. (N.B. Mr. Richard Brooke and Mr. Hoghton are joint lords of Charnock.) You next come to . . . bridge, and having passed Blainscough Brook you shortly after meet with a road on the right hand leading to Chorley. Passing over the ford into Duxbury there are two halls called Burgh, one belonging to Mr. Alexander Rigby, the other to Justice Crook.' And again: 'Having passed a mile from Wigan to the Bear's Head, keeping the right hand road you pass over a little rill by Jolly Mill, about a quarter of a mile. You leave on the right a road with a stone bridge over Douglas Water, leading from Standish to Blackrod, and the church and town of Standish, passing by another mill called Worthington Mill, and shortly after by Worthington Hall, belonging to merchant Thomas Clayton. Half a mile further you leave a fair-built fabric, also belonging to the said merchant, called Adlington Hall. Passing by a little bridge over the Perburn Brook, having gone through the watery lane, leaving Coppull Hall a little on the left and going easterly till you meet the oblique road from Manchester to Preston.'
The church (fn. 9) of ST. WILFRID stands on high ground at the north-east end of the village, and consists of chancel 37 ft. by 22 ft. with north and south chapels, nave 60 ft. by 22 ft. with north and south aisles 14 ft. 9 in. wide, west tower 11 ft. 6 in. by 10 ft. 6 in. with stone spire, and south porch 14 ft. by 10 ft. 6 in. with chamber over, all these measurements being internal.
Of the original building which existed prior to the 16th century little now remains. In 1544 it was found to be 'in grete ruyne and decaye,' and orders were given for re-edifying it under heavy penalties, but nothing seems to have been done for some years after. The present church, with the exception of the east end of the chancel and the tower, belongs to the rebuilding by Rector Moody in 1582–4, the contract and agreement of which is dated October 1582, (fn. 10) but it is possible that these refer to a final effort to complete a building which may have been in process of erection for many years previous, as in 1539, 1557 and in 1558 there is record of moneys having been bequeathed either for the repair or rebuilding of the church. (fn. 11) Whatever the exact date of the rebuilding, however, it appears to have been completed by about 1585, the work then done including the whole of the present nave and aisles, (fn. 12) south porch and the greater part of the chancel. The old tower, which was square below and octagonal above with an embattled parapet and spire, was left standing till 1867, when it was pulled down and the present tower and spire built. The east end of the chancel, which projects 10 ft. 6 in. in advance of the east end of the aisles and is contracted in width to 18 ft., appears to have been rebuilt, most likely late in the 15th century, the reconstruction of the chancel having been possibly then begun but not proceeded with. (fn. 13) Whether or not the east end of the chancel preserves any portion of an older mediaeval building it is difficult to say, and all that can be stated with any degree of certainty is that in the 15th century the church was the same length as at present and consisted of a chancel, nave with high pitched roof and west tower, and that there was a north aisle. (fn. 14) There was probably also a south aisle, but this is not certain. In 1799 a new east window was inserted, and two years later the north and south windows of the chancel were renewed. The building underwent a restoration in 1859, when the old square pews with which it was then filled were removed and the present seating erected. There were also galleries at that time on the north and west sides, and these were pulled down. Previously to this the lead roof seems to have been renewed and other external work done. (fn. 15)
The church is built of local gritstone in even and regular courses, but at the eastern end of the north side and in some other parts there are fragments of yellow and red sandstone, probably remnants from the earlier building. The walls throughout have embattled parapets, and the roofs, which are of very flat pitch and therefore not seen, are covered with lead.
The walls of the nave and chancel are continuous and of the same height, the division being marked externally only by octagonal staircases rising on either side as turrets with stone domed tops above the roofs. The aisles of the nave and chancel are also continuous and externally without distinction of division. The nave and chancel are lofty, with a continuous range of wide four-light clearstory windows with four-centred heads, and the line of battlement is varied by a wider merlon surmounted by a pinnacle over the middle clearstory window of the chancel, the second and fourth windows of the nave and over the east chancel window. The parapets on the east end of the north and south aisles are differently treated, that on the north side being stepped, while on the south the line follows the flat pitch of the lean-to roof. All the tracery of the windows is modern, of late Gothic character, with apparently little or no attempt to carry out the original design. The jambs and pointed heads of the windows, however, are original.
The chancel is lit at the east end by a modern five-light window and by a window of three lights immediately north and south with a similar opening above ranging with the windows of the clearstory. The upper windows previous to the restoration had been mutilated on their west sides apparently by the building up against them of the later wall which stands in front of the older chancel wall about 2 ft. The new windows, however, have been rebuilt similar to the ones below, with a pointed head, but narrower and of different shape from those of the clearstory. In the east wall south of the altar there was originally a doorway opening probably into a low vestry as at Sefton, the masonry on the outside still showing clearly where the opening has been built up. (fn. 16) Below the south window 2 ft. from the floor are the piscina and aumbry side by side, the piscina having an ogee-shaped head but no bowl; the aumbry a plain square-headed recess in the wall 1 ft. 11 in. wide by 15 in. high. The altar rails, which are modern, are at the junction of the older and later work, at the widening of the chancel, which west of this point has an arcade of two pointed arches on each side springing from circular columns and responds. The arches are 9 ft. wide, narrower and lower than those in the nave, but of the same general character. They are of two moulded orders with labels terminating in shields, and above are two four-light clearstory windows on each side. The chancel arch is pointed and of two orders, moulded on the east side and on the west with rounded chamfers, and springing from semicircular shafts with moulded caps and square abaci, similar in detail to the nave arcade. The division between the chancel and nave is marked by large octagonal piers, 6 ft. in diameter, each containing a staircase leading to the roof and with a halfround shaft forming a respond on three sides. (fn. 17) Over the arch pier on the north side of the chancel is a panel in the wall with the date 1584 in raised letters in the left-hand bottom corner, the rest of the surface being plain, (fn. 18) and on one of the shields at the termination of the hood mould on the opposite side are the initials R. M. The chancel screen is modern and of oak, but provision seems to have been made in the church as built in 1582–4 for a rood loft, as in the north staircase pier there is a door high up in the wall apparently constructed for access to the loft. The provision for a rood loft at such a late date, as well as other marks of mediaeval ritual in the building, is rather remarkable, unless the builders incorporated some features of the earlier structure in the new edifice. The roof is of oak similar to that in the nave, of very flat pitch, with richly moulded beams. On the beam over the east window is carved 'Richd Moodye p'son of Standyshe 1585,' and on the other three beams are inscribed ' A. S.,' 'E. S. 1585,' and 'R. Brideoake 74.'
The east end of the north aisle of the chancel (fn. 19) is used as a vestry and is separated from the chancel by a modern screen, while the second bay is occupied by the organ. The Standish chapel in the south aisle is separated from the chancel and from the nave at its west end by a modern screen, (fn. 20) and is 25 ft. long, the floor being level with that of the chancel, which is three steps above the nave. The chapel, like the north chancel aisle, is lit at the east end by a four-light window and by two similar windows on the south side, and is seated with benches, six of the old bench ends being carved with the Standish crest (the owl and rat) and the initials R. S. A brass plate records that the chapel was built by Edward Standish in 1589, and was restored in 1878, but whether this means that the outside walls date from that year, some five years after the supposed completion of the main building, is not quite clear. On the south wall below the easternmost window is a small piscina 11 in. wide, with an ogee head, but the bowl has been cut away. West of the second window, but on the nave side of the screen inclosing the chapel, is a priest's doorway with four-centred labelled head and modern panel on the outside carved with the Standish crest. On the south wall is a lead head with the initials and date L. F. 1669.
The nave is of five bays, with north and south arcades having circular piers 2 ft. in diameter on square pedestals 3 ft. high, and pointed arches 11 ft. wide of two round chamfered orders with label mouldings terminating in blank shields. The piers, which are of Renaissance design, have moulded caps and bases and a square abacus with curious turned pendant ornaments at the four corners. The pedestals have a plain chamfered plinth and moulded surbase, the height over all from the floor to the top of the abacus being 13 ft. 6 in. (fn. 21) There are five clearstory windows on each side, and the aisles have each three windows of four lights to the north and south, and a four-light window at the west end. In the north aisle the wall is faced on the inside with ashlar, while the south aisle wall is of rough masonry.
'An old drawing of the church previous to the restoration of 1859 shows a screen across the north aisle from the second pillar of the nave arcade west of the chancel pier, and the filled-up sockets in the pillar and wall can still be detected.' (fn. 22) This has suggested the location here of the 'Langtree chapel' which is mentioned in the time of Queen Elizabeth. (fn. 23)
The roof, which is of the same design to both nave and chancel, is the original one erected in the late 16th-century rebuilding and is an exceedingly handsome piece of work. It is of very flat pitch, richly wrought in oak, with moulded principals, each bay being subdivided by two moulded intermediate crossbeams, ridge and purlins, forming eighteen square boarded panels crossed by moulded diagonal ribs. All the intersections have carved bosses, and the principals are carried on carved oak brackets of distinctly Renaissance type, resting on small stone corbels. The lean-to roofs over the aisles are of somewhat similar detail, that on the south side having carved wood brackets and diagonally-ribbed panels as in the nave and chancel, but on the north side the principals are carried on stone brackets of Renaissance type, and the panels have square instead of diagonally-placed ribs. The stone brackets are carried along the north wall to the roof of the north chancel aisle, where, however, the roof is similar to that on the south side. The beam at the east end of the nave against the chancel arch has carved upon it four shields and the initials E. S., A. S., E. W., and I. C., probably standing for Edward and Alexander Standish, Edward Worthington and John Chisnall, and the second beam westward has an inscription not easy to decipher (fn. 24) with the date 1589. In the Standish chapel the intersections of the beams are carved with coats of arms showing the alliances of the Standish family, and there are two grotesque figures supporting one of the beams which are quite different in character from the other carvings in the church. (fn. 25)
The combination in the nave and quire of late Gothic and Renaissance detail is effective, and the latter not being over-emphasized the general appearance of the interior, the excellent proportions of which give it great beauty, is that of a building of the mediaeval period.
The north doorway, which is now made up, is small and plain with a four-centred arch and blank panel with hood mould over, the principal entrance to the church being by the south porch, which has a fourcentred outer arch under a square label mould and an upper story lighted on the south by a three-light square-headed window. The porch retains its original flat ceiling with heavy moulded oak beams, divided into twelve square panels similar in detail to those of the nave roof, and on each side is a stone seat. On the east wall is a three-light window, and in the north end of the west wall, near the inner door, 5 ft. from the ground, a small recess 6 in. wide and 3½ in. deep with ogee-shaped head. The entrance to the porch chamber is by a door inside high up in the wall over the entrance and now only accessible by means of a ladder. Like the aisles and clearstory the porch is finished externally by an embattled parapet, and on the south side above the upper window is a wood sundial with the motto 'Dum spectas fugit hora.' The outer angles have diagonal buttresses of three stages.
The west tower is of three stages, with a square base the height of the nave roof, and octagonal belfry stage above surmounted with a spire. The belfry stage has a two-light pointed window on each face, and the parapet above is embattled. The vice is in the south-west angle, and there is a clock on the north, south and west sides. The tower arch is of two chamfered orders continuous to the ground. To some extent the tower follows the design of the old one taken down in 1867, which was of the same type as those at Aughton, Halsall and Ormskirk. The old tower, however, was much lower, and its proportions spoilt when the new 16th-century nave was built up against it, the embattled parapet of the octagon belfry stage, from which the spire sprang, being only slightly higher than the nave roof, the parapets of which abutted awkwardly against it. The old tower is said to have shown the evidence of a pointed roof on its east wall, (fn. 26) and Glynne describes it as 'square below and octagonal above, with a Decorated west window and plain door and two-light belfry windows.' (fn. 27) The original spire had been partly rebuilt in 1823.
The font stands at the west end of the south aisle, and consists of an octagonal bowl of yellow sandstone with blank shields within sexfoils on each face. It is probably of early 16th-century date, but stands on an older stem of plain clustered shafts of hard greystone, and the base, again, is of different stone and of later date.
The pulpit formerly stood on the south side of the
chancel arch, but in 1859 was moved to its present
position on the north side. It was presented by
Rector Leigh in 1616, and is octagonal in shape, of
richly carved oak, each side being divided into three
panels of unequal size and form. It stands on a
tall stem and under the cornice on six sides is the
inscription in Gothic letters, NECESSITAS |
MIHI INCUMBIT | Vae MIHI SI NON | EVANGELIZEM | EX SUMPTIBUS | W. LEIGH REC. 1616. On the remaining side
(one being open) is—
'W. Leigh Rect.
Donum Dei Deo 1616.
A panel on the north side has a shield of eight pieces, the arms of Ralph Standish, with his initials and crest, and date 1616.
The rest of the fittings are mostly modern. There are, however, two oak bench ends in the north vestry, one carved with the initials and date 'E.H. 1625,' and the other 'W.R. 1626,' and under the tower is a bench apparently of about the same date, one of the ends of which has the Worthington crest and the other the arms and crest of Langtree. The altar slab is a piece of yellow marble, given by Edward Chisnall in 1693, and stands on an oak table with eight twisted legs.
On the north side of the quire is the altar tomb of Richard Moody, with a recumbent effigy, cut apparently from a block of local freestone, (fn. 28) but now, along with the rest of the monument, painted black and grey, or lead colour. The figure represents a clerk —possibly Gilbert de Standish, rector 1357–96—in cassock, surplice and hood, the close-fitting sleeves of the doublet appearing from within the sleeves of the cassock. (fn. 29) Below is a recess with Ionic columns and entablature, containing a bas-relief representing two angels holding a winding-sheet which contains a corpse, with the words, 'As you are I was and as I am you shal be.' The marginal inscription, which has the dates left blank, seems to indicate that the tomb was erected by Moody before his death. (fn. 30)
On the opposite side is a good 17th-century altar tomb, in yellow and black marble, with the recumbent effigy of Sir Edward Wrightington, kt., 'one of the Council of the North,' who died 1658. On the wall above is a monument to Edward Dicconson of Finch Mill, in Shevington, vicar apostolic of the northern district of England (1740) and Bishop of Malla in partibus infidelium (1741), who died in 1752. (fn. 31)
The oldest monument in the church, however, is a sepulchral slab with the incised figure of Maud Chisnall, wife of Robert de Chisnall, now in the floor at the east end of the nave, partly hidden by the platform on which the reading-desk stands. The date has been obliterated, but the stone is attributed to the 14th century. (fn. 32)
On the south-west face of the north octagonal staircase pier above the pulpit is a stone panel with the arms and crest of Worthington and the initials and date, E. W. 1584, and over the first pier of the north arcade is a panel with the Stanley crest of the eagle and child. Attached to the north-west side of the south staircase pier, facing the nave, is an elaborate mural monument to Edward Chisnall, who was one of the defenders of Lathom House, and died in 1653, with a long Latin inscription, and opposite on the north pier a tablet to Thomas Clayton, d. 1721. Over the south door in the nave is a marble tablet by Nollekens to Cecilia Towneley, d. 1778, and Edward Towneley Standish, d. 1807.
There are several brasses in the floor of the chancel, one to Mary Lathom (d. 1656), wife of Paul Lathom, rector, and others of 18th-century date. There was formerly a brass plate in the north aisle with a Latin inscription to the effect that Robert Pylkington (d. 1498) had been custodian and chaplain to the chantry of St. Nicholas.
The only fragments of old glass now remaining are in the top lights of the second window from the east in the Standish chapel, one of which contains the Standish coat of arms, a shield of eight quarters, and crest. There was formerly, however, in the second clearstory window of the north side a fragment of 15th-century glass which bore the inscription in Gothic characters, RICHARD LANGTRE MADE [A GIFT ?] OF THE GLAZING OF THIS WINDOW. ANNO DO. 1590. (fn. 33)
There is a ring of six bells, five of which were cast by A. Rudhall of Gloucester, two in 1714 and three in the following year. (fn. 34) In 1846 another bell was added, cast by Mears of London.
The church plate is exceedingly handsome, and consists of eight pieces, all of great merit and beautiful workmanship. The earliest pieces are a chalice and cover paten of 1607, the chalice inscribed in the centre of the bowl, THIS CUP AND COVER WAS GIVEN TO THE PARISH CHURCH OF STANDISH, IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASTER, FOR A COMMUNION CUP BY ALEXANDER PRESCOTT, THE SONNE OF WILLIAM PRESCOTT, OF COPPELL, AND NOWE CITIZEN AND GOULDSMITH, OF LONDON. ANNO 1608. It stands 9½ in. in height, and has further inscribed on it in Roman lettering in three separate places—below the lip, at the bottom of the bowl, and on the rounded upper portion of the base—'Lett a man examine himselfe and soe lett him eate of this breade and drink of this cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily eateth and drinketh his own judgement because he discerneth not the Lord's Body.' The cover is surmounted by a plain knob, and when inverted forms the paten, on which is engraved, 'Holy things are for holy men.' Both chalice and paten have the maker's mark, T. I., with a molet below in a plain shield. The rest of the plate consists of two flagons of 1656, a chalice and two patens of 1677, and an almsdish of 1768. The flagons are silver-gilt, of very rich design, standing 13 in. high and 7¼ in. in diameter at the base, with two bands of gilt repoussé work, and similar ornamentation on the lid, the design of which consists of cherubs' heads and wings in a circle round the edge interspersed with leaf and scroll ornament. Each flagon bears the arms of Holt of Shevington, dividing a long inscription, ALEXANDER HOLT, ESQUIRE, CITIZEN AND GOLDSMITH, OF LONDON, GAVE THESE TWO FLAGONS OF SILVER TO THE PARISH OF STANDISH, WHERE HE WAS BORNE, FOR THE SERVICE OF GOD AND THE USE OF THE PARISHONERS AT THE CELEBRATION OF THE HOLY COMMUNION. A. D. 1657. The maker's marks are I. W., with a tun below, all in a plain shield.
The second chalice is similar in size and shape to the first, and bears the same scriptural verses set out as before. It is inscribed, THIS CUP AND COVER WAS GIVEN TO THE PARISH CHURCH OF STANDISH, IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHER, AS A COMMUNION CUP, BY EDWARD HOLT, LATE OF SHEVINGTON, GENTLEMAN, IN THE PARISH AFFORESAID, DECECED, IN THE YEARE OF OUR LORD 1677. The maker's mark is I. H., with a fleur de lis below. The cover paten is similar to the one belonging to the older chalice, but the second paten of 1677, which was the gift of James Holt, is larger, being 9 in. in diameter, formed by a single shallow depression, leaving a rim an inch wide deeply worked in repoussé. In the centre are the arms of Holt, with a martlet for difference, and around the arms is inscribed, EX DONO JACOBI HOLT MERCATORIS LONDONENSIS FILIJ EDWARDI HOLT GENEROSI NUPER DE SHEVINGTON DEFUNCTI IN USUM SINGULAREM PAROCHIALIS ECCLESIÆ DE STANDISH IN COMITATU LANCASTRENSI AD CÆNAM CELEBRANDUM. ANNO DOMINI 1677. The almsdish is of silver gilt, inscribed, DEO ET ECCLESIÆ DE STANDISH SACRUM, and bears the mark of John Harvey of London.
The registers begin in 1558. The first volume (1558 to 1663) has been rebound in leather.
The churchyard lies principally to the south and south-east of the church, and is bounded on the north by the high road, from which there is a gate at the east end; but the principal entrance is from the village on the south side, opposite the porch. It was enlarged in 1805. The oldest dated gravestone is 1645.
On the partition of Standish and Langtree in 1206 the advowson of the rectory was also divided, (fn. 35) but a later agreement must have been made, (fn. 36) as the presentations from 1300 onwards were always made by the lords of Standish, without any claim from the Langtrees. (fn. 37) After 1713 (fn. 38) presentations were made by the University of Cambridge, and then the advowson was sold. (fn. 39) The present patron is Miss Mary Adams, who acquired the right by purchase in 1886.
The value of the benefice was in 1291 taxed as £13 6s. 8d., (fn. 40) and the ninth of sheaves, wool, &c., was also valued as 20 marks in 1341. (fn. 41) The clear value in 1535 was returned as £45 16s. 8d. (fn. 42) The Commonwealth surveyors in 1650 found that the value of the parsonage-house and glebe lands alone was £50, and that of the tithes £146. (fn. 43) In 1722 Bishop Gastrell found the income to be above £300. (fn. 44) At present it is returned as £1,320. (fn. 45)
The following is a list of the rectors:—
|Instituted||Name||Patron||Cause of Vacancy|
|oc. 1206, 1220.||Alexander de Standish (fn. 46)||—||—|
|Edward (fn. 47)||—||—|
|c. 1250||? Richard (fn. 48)||—||—|
|c. 1260||Hugh (fn. 49)||—||—|
|oc. 1275||Robert de Haydock (fn. 50)||—||—|
|25 May 1301||Henry le Waleys (fn. 51)||William de Standish||—|
|22 Dec. 1339||William de Burlegh (fn. 52)||John de Standish||d. H. le Waleys|
|? 1357||Gilbert de Standish (fn. 53)||Henry de Standish||res. Gilb. de Standish|
|1 June 1358|
|24 Nov. 1396||Alexander de Standish (fn. 54)||Ralph de Standish||—|
|John Spink (fn. 55)||—||—|
|12 Apr. 1424||Roger Standish (fn. 56)||Lawr. Standish||d. J. Spink|
|? 1442–3||Gilbert Worthington (fn. 57)||—||—|
|oc. 1451||Roger Standish (fn. 58)||—||—|
|22 June 1478||Alexander Fairclough, S.T.P. (fn. 59)||Alex. Standish||d. Roger Standish|
|17 Feb. 1481–2||Henry Pendlebury (fn. 60)||"||d. A. Fairclough|
|26 Feb. 1482–3||Thomas Radcliffe, M.A. (fn. 61)||Sir Alex. Standish||res. H. Pendlebury|
|oc. 1522||Roger Standish (fn. 62)||Ralph Standish||—|
|oc. 1535||Henry Standish, D.D. (fn. 63)||—||—|
|27 July 1535||Peter Bradshaw, D.Decr. (fn. 64)||Ralph Standish||d. last rector|
|19 May 1541||Richard Standish, M.A. (fn. 65)||John Aliff, &c.||d. P. Bradshaw|
|1552||Thomas Thornton (fn. 66)||—||d. R. Standish|
|1552||William Cliffe, LL.D. (fn. 67)||—||—|
|3 Jan. 1558–9||Richard Moody (fn. 68)||Edw. Standish||d. W. Cliffe|
|17 Nov. 1586||William Leigh, B.D. (fn. 69)||"||d. R. Moody|
|27 Nov. 1639||John Chadwick, M.A. (fn. 70)||Robert Wyman||d. W. Leigh|
|27 Aug. 1640||Edw. Herriss|
|19 Jan. 1644–5||Ralph Brideoak (fn. 71)||Ralph Standish||—|
|22 Dec. 1649||Paul Lathom, M.A. (fn. 72)||election||—|
|rest. 1660||Ralph Brideoak, D.D. (fn. 73)||—||—|
|14 Oct. 1678||William Haydock, M.A. (fn. 74)||Edw. Standish||d. Bp. Brideoak|
|15 Sept. 1680||The King|
|16 May 1713||William Turton, B.A. (fn. 75)||Ralph Standish||d. W. Haydock|
|4 Feb. 1722–3||John Johnson, B.D. (fn. 76)||Univ. Cambridge||d. W. Turton|
|17 Mar. 1723–4||Thomas Pilgrim, B.D. (fn. 77)||"||d. J. Johnson|
|26 July 1760||Edward Smalley, M.A. (fn. 78)||Richard Clayton||d. T. Pilgrim|
|10 May 1779||Richard Perryn, M.A. (fn. 79)||Sir Rich. Perryn||d. E. Smalley|
|29 Apr. 1826||William Green Orrett, M.A. (fn. 80)||W. G. Orrett||d. R. Perryn|
|June 1841||William Harper Brandreth, M.A. (fn. 81)||Joseph Pilkington Brandreth||d. W. G. Orrett|
|1885||Joseph Pilkington Brandreth, M.A. (fn. 82)||Trust. Canon Brandreth||d. W. H. Brandreth|
|1886||Charles William Newton Hutton, M.A. (fn. 83)||"||res. J. P. Brandreth|
The earlier rectors were chiefly of local families. It may be noted that several of the earliest whose names are known had sons. The foundation of a chantry by Henry le Waleys in 1328 seems to have been intended to provide an additional priest to assist in the parish, the endowment being in one case called the 'vicarage.' The two later chantries at the parish church and the chapel at Coppull represent increases of the clerical staff in the parish; the rector, when non-resident, would provide a curate. (fn. 84) The list of 'ornaments' in 1552 shows that the church had been well furnished. (fn. 85) The visitation list of 1548 records seven names at Standish, but one of the staff lived at Bolton. (fn. 86) The confiscation of the chantry endowments at once made a great difference; the list of 1554 gives only five names, of whom the rector and another were non-resident (fn. 87); in 1562 only the conforming rector and his curate were named. (fn. 88)
This appears to have been the normal staff—but not always maintained (fn. 89) —until recent times, when a number of new churches have been built and the parish subdivided. The replies to the archdeacon's questions in 1739 (fn. 90) declare that the church and churchyard were properly kept and in good order. The rector, who had no other benefice and was 'a man of an unblameable and exemplary life,' was constantly resident, and preached every Lord's Day; his curate had a stipend of £40. Prayers were read in the church twice every Sunday, the Litany was said on Wednesdays and Fridays, the Lord's Supper was celebrated eighteen times a year, the youth were instructed in the Church Catechism on the Sundays in Lent, and methods were used to 'reclaim popish recusants.' There seems to have been also a separate curate for Coppull, where there were 'prayers and sermon' every Sunday. Nobody but the Quakers refused to pay Easter offerings or the Church rates. There were places in the parish where it was supposed that 'Papists' resorted to hear Mass; there was also a meeting of Quakers.
There was in 1360 a chapel at Standish endowed with lands in Anderton, but nothing further is known of it. (fn. 91) Of the three chantries the first, as already stated, was founded in 1328 by the rector, Henry le Waleys, at the altar of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the church, (fn. 92) the endowment being messuages and lands in Standish and Langtree. The nomination of the priest was granted to Richard le Waleys and his heirs and in case of default to the lord of Standish or to the Prior of Burscough. (fn. 93) At the Suppression the and the chantry priest was duly celebrating for the souls of the founder and his ancestors; he was further bound to find thirteen tapers before the sacrament and to maintain the service in quire every holy day. (fn. 94) The chantry at the altar of St. Nicholas was founded by Dr. Alexander Fairclough, rector, in 1479, (fn. 95) for a chaplain to celebrate for the souls of himself and his ancestors and to maintain the service in quire every holy day, and in 1548 the incumbent was celebrating accordingly. The income was £5 6s. 11d., derived from lands in Rivington, Whittle, Adlington and Heath Charnock. (fn. 96) The third chantry was at the rood altar, and founded by James Standish of Arley in Blackrod about 1520 (fn. 97); the priest does not appear to have had quire duty. The lands belonging to it in Langtree, Worthington and Chorley produced a rental of only 67s. 4d. (fn. 98) None of the chantries had any plate. The lands of the last-named chantry were sold by the Crown in 1550 to William Place and Nicholas Spakeman, (fn. 99) and those of the two older ones in 1583 to Thurstan Anderton. (fn. 100)
One of the chantry priests at Standish, as at other places, kept school. (fn. 101) A new school was founded in 1603. (fn. 102)
Apart from a few large benefactions there are but scanty funds for the aged and destitute. (fn. 103) For the whole parish a rent-charge of £12 is available, derived from ancient gifts. (fn. 104) For Standish-withLangtree John Johnson by his will of 1697 gave lands for the poor, which now produce an income of £119 4s. 1d., distributed in gifts of calico and linen. (fn. 105) This township has other poor funds, producing in all about £30. (fn. 106) John Shaw in 1627 and George Shaw in 1650 left money for the poor of Rivington and Anglezarke in Bolton, and Heath Charnock and Anderton in Standish, which was invested in lands, and the moiety of the income applicable to the general benefit of the poor of the latter townships is now £197 14s. 6d. (fn. 107) The portion of Peter Lathom's charity available for Welch Whittle amounts to £78 5s. 10d. (fn. 108) Thomas Johnson in 1680 gave a tenement in Tockholes for the benefit of the poor of Coppull and Anderton; the income is now £31 9s. 4d. (fn. 109) Coppull has another small fund. (fn. 110) At Charnock Richard a revenue of £14 4s., derived from several ancient gifts, is distributed in cloth, flannel and blankets at Christmas. (fn. 111) Heath Charnock has a small special charity. (fn. 112) At Duxbury £14 is available from a gift by William Mason in 1638 (fn. 113); there are two smaller charities. (fn. 114) Shevington has several foundations, amounting in all to about £16, spent chiefly in bread and cloth gifts. (fn. 115) The above benefactions are of ancient date. The principal recent gift is that of almshouses for the ecclesiastical district of Charnock Richard, in memory of Mrs. Frances Darlington. The charity was founded by her husband in 1898–9; there are six almshouses, appropriated to members of the Church of England, and the endowment amounts to £118 a year. (fn. 116)