A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Tunestalle, Dom. Bk.; Tunstall, 1202; Tunstal, 1227. The spelling with one l is still in use. Tunestall occurs in 1292.
This township occupies comparatively low-lying and level ground in the valley of the Lune, the highest point, near the eastern border, attaining about 230 ft. above sea level. The parish church stands near the centre, and has the village somewhat to the south-west. The area is 1,076½ acres, and the population in 1901 numbered 122. (fn. 1)
The principal road is that from Lancaster to Kirkby Lonsdale, which passes north through the village. The Lune is crossed by two fords. The soil is a loam, with gravel subsoil.
In 1066 TUNSTALL was one of the four manors in Bentham held by Chetel. (fn. 2) In the following century it was included in the fee of Hornby held by the Montbegon family. (fn. 3) The lordship of Tunstall was granted to a family which used the local surname, but, as they fixed their residence at Thurland in Cantsfield, the account of them is given there. (fn. 4) There was probably also a rectory manor, held by the Abbots of Croxton, (fn. 5) and another estate once called a manor in the hands of John de Hornby of Ireby and his successors. (fn. 6) In later times a few other families appear in the records. (fn. 7) John Burton of Tunstall in 1631 paid £10 for declining knighthood. (fn. 8) John Turner of Garston had house and lands in Tunstall which were declared forfeit by the Commonwealth and sold in 1653. (fn. 9)
An inclosure award was made in 1825. (fn. 10)
The parish church has been described above. There is no other place of worship in the township.