A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 13, Bampton Hundred (Part One). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1996.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In the late Anglo-Saxon period Standlake and Brighthampton formed part of the royal manor of Bampton, which was later diminished by piecemeal grants. Aethelred gave 3 cassati at Brighthampton to his 'minister' Aelfwine in 984, (fn. 1) and in 1086 Wadard held 1½ hide there under Odo, bishop of Bayeux. That estate was apparently forfeited on Wadard's and Odo's fall, and was probably included in Henry I's grant to Sees priory (Orne) in 1131 of land at Brighthampton and Hardwick, later Hardwick and Brighthampton manor. (fn. 2) A 6-hide estate, recorded under Brighthampton in 1086 and held by Anketil de Grey of William FitzOsbern, earl of Hereford, was probably the later manor of STANDLAKE, which was assessed in 1220 at 5½ carucates, and which unlike Hardwick and Brighthampton manor was not claimed later as ancient demesne. (fn. 3) By 1242 the overlordship was held with the Isle of Wight by Baldwin (II) de Rivers (d. 1245), earl of Devon, and it descended with the Isle to the Crown in 1293. (fn. 4) Thereafter Standlake was usually said to be held of the honor of Carisbrooke or that of Aumâle, (fn. 5) which remained in the king's hands. The overlordship passed with life grants of the Isle to Edward Ill's daughter Isabel in 1355-6, (fn. 6) and to William Montagu (d. 1397), earl of Salisbury, in 1385; (fn. 7) its inclusion among possessions of Sir Robert de Lisle of Rougemont in 1368 arose probably from confusion with other estates inherited from Isabel de Forz. (fn. 8) In 1388 the overlord was said to be John of Gaunt (d. 1399), duke of Lancaster, (fn. 9) and from the early 15th century Standlake was consistently said to be held of the duchy of Lancaster, sometimes as of the honor of Aumâle. The overlordship was last recorded in the early 16th century. (fn. 10)
In 1242-3 and later the manor was reckoned usually at 1 knight's fee (fn. 11) but in 1279 and 1346 at 1½ fee, perhaps through inclusion of land at Brize Norton held of the manor by the 13th century, and for which quitrent remained due in the 16th. (fn. 12) An apparently separate fee or half-fee, held of the same overlord by Roger Foliot (fl. 1243?) and by Laurence de Broke (fl. 1368), was reported in the 14th century, but though both held former FitzOsbern lands elsewhere in the county neither is otherwise known to have been associated with Standlake, (fn. 13) and the fee was not mentioned later.
The Greys' mesne tenancy descended presumably through Anketil's son Richard to his grandson Anketil (fl. 1150) and great-grandson John (d. by 1192), both of whom granted meadows and common rights in Standlake to Eynsham abbey. (fn. 14) John's daughter and heir Eve married the royal judge Ralph Murdac, who was lord in 1192 but whose lands were forfeited in 1194 for rebellion. (fn. 15) A claim was evidently made by Guy de Dive, Murdac's great nephew through marriage, who that year confirmed the grants to Eynsham abbey, but the Crown restored the manor to Eve c. 1197, (fn. 16) soon after Murdac's death. In 1200 her second husband Andrew de Beauchamp paid 50 marks for seisin of Murdac's former lands in Northamptonshire, (fn. 17) and in 1214 he received custody of Standlake wood, which by 1230 was attached to the manor. (fn. 18) On Eve's death c. 1246 the manor was divided into four parts, three passing to her daughters Beatrice (relict of Robert Mauduit), Joan (wife of Ernald de Boys), and Alice (wife of Ralph Hareng and formerly of Alan of Buckland), and the fourth to Jolland de Neville, son of her daughter Maud. (fn. 19) It descended in quarters until the 16th century, the Boys, Hareng, and Neville quarters being held apparently of the Mauduit quarter. (fn. 20)
The de Boys quarter passed to Joan's son and grandson, both called Ernald, to the younger Ernald's brother John (fl. 1279-85), who leased it to Nicholas Sifrewast, (fn. 21) and before 1296 to John's brother Master William, who after 1309 sold it to Sir Roger Corbet (d. c. 1349) of Hadley (Salop.). (fn. 22) Roger settled most of it in 1335 on his daughter Eleanor for life, (fn. 23) and in 1347 on his son and heir John, (fn. 24) dead by 1350 when Roger's daughter Amice (d. 1361) and her husband John d'Oddingseles (d. 1352) held the quarter for their lives. (fn. 25) In 1357 John Corbet's son Sir Robert granted the reversion for their lives to Edmund Giffard of Standlake, his wife Margaret, and their son Robert, but on Corbet's death in 1404 the quarter passed under a settlement of 1390 to his relict Maud, with reversion to their son Robert (d. 1417). (fn. 26) He settled it in 1415 on his daughter Sibyl, who married John Greville, the owner in 1428; on John's death in 1444 it passed with Hadley under earlier settlements to Robert's nephew Robert (d. 1495), son of his brother Guy. (fn. 27) From the 1460s or earlier Robert mortgaged the quarter, and in 1464 sold it to Sir John Leynham or Plummer (d. 1479), a London grocer. (fn. 28) In 1482 executors of Leynham's relict Margaret sold it to William Waynflete, bishop of Winchester, who in 1483 gave it to the newly founded Magdalen College, Oxford. (fn. 29)
Jolland de Neville's quarter had been let by 1254 to Maud's cousin Sir Walter de Grey (d. 1268), whose rent was remitted that year. (fn. 30) Though Jolland's brother Andrew claimed the advowson in 1284 (fn. 31) the Nevilles' interest was not mentioned later, and the quarter descended until 1474 with the Greys' manor of Cogges. (fn. 32) In 1316 it was held in dower by the first Sir John Grey's relict Margaret and her husband Robert Morby, (fn. 33) from the 1330s to 1360s all or part was held by Sir Ralph de Grey, presumably a relative, (fn. 34) and in the later 1360s the 2nd Lord Grey leased the quarter for their lives to Edmund Giffard and his wife; (fn. 35) a small part was held by the Quatremayns family in the late 14th century and early 15th. (fn. 36) In 1474 the quarter passed under a family settlement to William Lovel (d. 1476), Lord Morley, second son of the Greys' heir Alice Boteler, Lady Sudeley; it passed to William's son Henry (d. 1489), Lord Morley, and to Henry's sister Alice (d. 1518), suo jure Baroness Morley, who married William Parker (d. after 1504) and Sir Edward Howard (d. 1513). (fn. 37) Her son and heir Henry Parker, Lord Morley, conveyed it in 1532 to Edward Lee, archbishop of York, and others, apparently by sale, but in 1538 sold it to Magdalen College. (fn. 38)
Alice Hareng's quarter passed on her death in 1247 to her grandson Osbert (II) Giffard, (fn. 39) who came of age c. 1255. In 1284 he abducted a nun of Wilton (Wilts.) and took her overseas, having given custody of his lands to his son Osbert III (d. 1290); the king nevertheless seized his estates, which were briefly restored to the younger Osbert in 1285 and were recovered by his father in 1290. (fn. 40) All or part of the quarter was granted in dower to the younger Osbert's relict Sarah, still lady in 1302; (fn. 41) after disputes in 1291-2 it was agreed that she should have additional rent from lands in Standlake bought by the elder Osbert from John of Hadenham, and that on Osbert's death his granddaughter and heir Alice should have land in Standlake and Deddington also formerly John of Hadenham's. (fn. 42) The elder Osbert died before 1312, (fn. 43) and by 1316 the lord was Richard Darcy, (fn. 44) whose son John and relict Alice, presumably Alice Giffard, seem to have sold the quarter c. 1338 to William Casse and his wife Maud. (fn. 45) Thomas Souwy, lord in 1346, (fn. 46) was perhaps only a lessee, and in 1364 rents and homages formerly belonging to him and to Maud Casse were conveyed to Thomas Tirrell and his wife Alice, who conveyed them to Thomas Spigurnel and his wife Catherine. (fn. 47) Edmund Giffard of Standlake, mentioned from 1353, (fn. 48) bought or recovered the quarter from the Spigurnels in 1367, (fn. 49) and in 1381 his relict Margaret granted it to William of Wykeham, bishop of Winchester. (fn. 50) A claim by a descendant of Richard Darcy was defeated the following year. (fn. 51)
In 1381 Wykeham gave the quarter to New College, Oxford, (fn. 52) but recovered it c. 1392 and settled it on himself, with reversion to his greatnephew Thomas (later Sir Thomas) Wykeham alias Perrot (d. 1443), in possession by 1402. (fn. 53) Thomas's son William (d. 1457) settled it in 1448 on his daughter Margaret (d. 1477) and her husband William Fiennes (d. 1471), Lord Saye and Sele, (fn. 54) who settled it on their son Henry (d. 1476) and his wife Anne (fl. 1491). (fn. 55) It descended to Henry and Anne's son Richard (d. 1501), Lord Saye and Sele, and to Richard's son Edward (d. 1528), (fn. 56) whose relict Margaret, with her second husband Thomas Neville of Holt (Leics.), retained a life interest, prompting disputes in the 1540s with Edward's son Richard Fiennes, de jure Lord Saye and Sele. (fn. 57) Before 1555 Richard sold all or part to Francis Fettiplace of Standlake and others, who in that year conveyed a part to Cuthbert Temple of Standlake, clothier. Temple sold his estate soon after to Robert Radborne (d. 1557) of Standlake, miller, who in 1556 sold most of it to Magdalen College, (fn. 58) to which Fettiplace made additional small sales in 1557. (fn. 59)
Beatrice Mauduit's quarter passed on her death after 1250 to Sir John Mauduit (d. 1302) of Somerford (Wilts.), her son or grandson. It descended with Somerford to his nephew Sir John Mauduit (d. 1347), who briefly forfeited it c. 1322-3, to John's relict Agnes (d. 1369), who married Sir Thomas de Bradeston (d. 1360), Lord Bradeston, and to John's and Agnes's grandson William de Moleyns (d. 1381), son of their daughter Gilles. (fn. 60) Thereafter it descended until the 16th century with Aston Pogges in Bampton, (fn. 61) passing by 1532 to George Hastings (d. 1544), earl of Huntingdon, who in 1537 sold it to Thomas Cromwell, later earl of Essex. (fn. 62) On Cromwell's fall in 1540 the quarter escheated to the Crown, and in 1541 was granted for her life to Anne of Cleves (d. 1557); (fn. 63) the reversion was granted with other lands in 1552 to Henry Grey, duke of Suffolk, and Thomas Duport, who the same year sold it to Cuthbert Temple, Anne of Cleves's lessee. (fn. 64) In 1555 Temple sold the reversion of the demesne to Francis Fettiplace (fn. 65) and the rest, with some exceptions, to Robert Radborne; Radborne sold most of it to Magdalen College, (fn. 66) thereafter lord of the reunited, if diminished, manor. The college's estate, over 650 a. in 1887, (fn. 67) was enlarged in the late 19th century and early 20th (fn. 68) and was sold in parcels c. 1920, chiefly to tenants. (fn. 69)
The demesne lands acquired by Fettiplace, including closes and woodland adjoining Cokethorpe in the north of the parish, passed on his death in 1558 to his infant daughter Cecily, who married Edward East of Bledlow (Bucks.). (fn. 70) The estate was by then known usually as Golofers, presumably from an unrecorded medieval tenant or from confusion with the Moleyns's submanor of Golofers in Bampton parish. (fn. 71) Though Fettiplace was alleged in 1558 to hold.no other land in Standlake (fn. 72) the family seems also to have retained part of the Fiennes quarter, since in 1573 Cecily and Edward settled the manors of Golofers and Giffards, the latter also called Standlake Fiennes, on themselves and their heirs. (fn. 73) That combined estate, sometimes known later as Cokethorpe manor and forming the core of later Cokethorpe Park, descended independently thereafter; (fn. 74) attached open-field land in Standlake was sold piecemeal during the 18th century. (fn. 75)
Eve de Grey had a demesne farm and presumably a house in Standlake at her death c. 1246. (fn. 76) It passed probably with the Mauduit quarter, (fn. 77) which in 1302 included a house and garden, an adjoining close, and a dovecot. (fn. 78) John Mauduit (d. 1347) witnessed a local charter c. 1309, (fn. 79) but the family resided chiefly at Somerford (Wilts.) and by c. 1370 leased the demesne, (fn. 80) and in 1425 the site of the house was worth only 4d. a year. (fn. 81) The house stood probably east of the river Windrush, north-east of the church: traces survive there of a moated rectangular inclosure with a causewayed entrance, (fn. 82) and in 1558 an inquisition referring apparently to the Mauduit quarter mentioned a manor house formerly there. (fn. 83)
The Giffard quarter presumably included a house in the later 13th century, when a son of Osbert (II) Giffard was allegedly born in Standlake. (fn. 84) William Casse was licensed to have an oratory in his house, perhaps the manor house, in 1340. (fn. 85) Between 1387 and 1391 New College, Oxford, embarked on major repairs to manorial buildings: stone, lime, laths, nails, and roof tiles were bought for repair of the hall and chamber; other buildings were strengthened or underpinned in stone; timber framing, thatch, wattle, daub, and plaster were renewed; and gates were replaced and fitted with new locks. (fn. 86) The house, apparently moated, (fn. 87) may have stood in a close east of the Windrush near the rectory house, where earthworks suggest a second, L-shaped moated inclosure. (fn. 88) The quarter continued to be called 'Giffardscourt' or 'Wykehamscourt', but 15th-century owners were non-resident and no buildings were noted later. (fn. 89)
The Greys presumably had a house or home farm in 1279 when land was in demesne, but no owners are known to have resided and by the 1360s the demesne was leased. (fn. 90) Manorial buildings stood probably in or near Greys court, a large square inclosure north-west of the church which seems to have descended with the Greys' quarter. (fn. 91) Numerous cropmarks have been noted in the vicinity, though none are identifiably medieval. (fn. 92) In 1338 Ralph de Grey was licensed to alienate 1 rood of land to enlarge the churchyard, which later jutted into the close's south-east corner, (fn. 93) and by the 16th century there were apparently no buildings. (fn. 94)
The Boys quarter included a manor house probably in 1279 and certainly in the earlier 14th century, when it was let with the demesne. By 1361 it had no net value, and in 1394 the site, which is unidentified, was a garden. (fn. 95)