Stogursey: Boroughs

A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

'Stogursey: Boroughs', in A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes), (London, 1992) pp. 137. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/som/vol6/p137 [accessed 13 April 2024]

BOROUGH.

The borough of Stogursey was recorded from 1225 when it answered at the eyre. (fn. 1) In 1301 it paid a small sum called 'burghright' to Cannington hundred. (fn. 2) It belonged to the lords of Stogursey until 1833 when it was last recorded, (fn. 3) except for the period 1550-2 when it was held by William Barlow, bishop of Bath and Wells, by grant of Edward Seymour, duke of Somerset. (fn. 4) In 1559 it was said that the earls of Northumberland had made Stogursey a 'borough town' although their charter had been burned. (fn. 5)

In the early 17th century the lord of the borough claimed deodand, treasure trove, and felons' goods. (fn. 6) Borough rents and profits totalled £9 1s. 6d. in 1276-7, (fn. 7) £8 18s. 5d. in 1500, (fn. 8) and £7 6s. 2d. c. 1542. (fn. 9) Rents were worth £6 4s. 9d. in 1559 (fn. 10) and £5 0s. 1d. in 1614, when the lord also claimed deodand, treasure trove, and felons' goods. (fn. 11)

Footnotes

  • 1. S.R.S. xi, p. 40.
  • 2. Cal. Inq. p.m. iv, p. 341.
  • 3. e.g. S.R.S. lxvii, p. 193; S.R.O., DD/PLE 64.
  • 4. Cal. Pat. 1549-51, 205; 1552, 456.
  • 5. B.L. Harl. MS. 71, ff. 63-4.
  • 6. S.R.O., DD/X/WI 34.
  • 7. P.R.O., SC 6/974/8.
  • 8. W. Suss. R.O., PHA uncat.
  • 9. P.R.O., SC 6/Hen. VIII/6397.
  • 10. B.L. Harl. MS. 71, f. 64.
  • 11. S.R.O., DD/X/WI 34.